Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horn disassembly?

Good afternoon!
Is there a step by step disassembly guide for a Lucas Altette horn? Mine is being a pain. It will sound with all the screws loosened on the outer ring, but is silent when they’re tightened down. Any thoughts?
Mike

email (option): yankee1865ATmsn.com

Re: Horn disassembly?

Try adjusting it Remove the domed nut in the middle. Then under the locking ring, this has a slot on it. I modify a small socket to fit. Once locking ring is undone use a screwdriver to screw the adjusting screw in or out until the tone seems ok. I would quess that the screw will need screwing out to release the loading on the diaphragm.

That was just the ticket. Works now. Still will go silent if I nip up the bolts too tight, probably in need of new gaskets. Any sources for those?
Thanks!
Mike

email (option): yankee1865ATmsn.com

You have probably got an after market rim, these seem to trap the diaphragm. Gaskets are on Ebay number 363003219289.Glad you got it working.

I have rebuild a Clearhooter HF500 . The gaskets were no good and so initially I have left them out. It doesn't work very well! I feel sure the answer will be yes, but I cannot work out why. Should I have gaskets for the horn to work correctly? All advice much appreciated thanks Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

You can treat the Clear Hooter much the same as the Altette. You need gaskets to give clearance to the diaphragm otherwise the rim pinches it.

I've never had a great success rate at making dud horns work but there is often a build up of several gaskets as they obviously perform a shimming process. There might be information and parts on Taff's site.....Although I've heard he's been ill?
http://taffthehorns.com/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Guys. I will try some gaskets. Taff is not active as far as I ha e heard.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Hi Mike
Yes Mike you have heard correct that Taff has been very ill, he recently suffered a stroke and is not at his best, has stopped working on horns but has asked me to take over what stock he had remaining, I have access to his spares and parts and we have gasket kits for all the horns, and if you can would you put the word out please that Horn parts are once again available. Selling Gasket kits in sets of 5 waxed impregnated shimm/gaskets (1 thick & 4 thin) at £7.50 plus p&p.
Terence

email (option): terrybinns1957@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1