Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horn disassembly?

Good afternoon!
Is there a step by step disassembly guide for a Lucas Altette horn? Mine is being a pain. It will sound with all the screws loosened on the outer ring, but is silent when they’re tightened down. Any thoughts?
Mike

email (option): yankee1865ATmsn.com

Re: Horn disassembly?

Try adjusting it Remove the domed nut in the middle. Then under the locking ring, this has a slot on it. I modify a small socket to fit. Once locking ring is undone use a screwdriver to screw the adjusting screw in or out until the tone seems ok. I would quess that the screw will need screwing out to release the loading on the diaphragm.

That was just the ticket. Works now. Still will go silent if I nip up the bolts too tight, probably in need of new gaskets. Any sources for those?
Thanks!
Mike

email (option): yankee1865ATmsn.com

You have probably got an after market rim, these seem to trap the diaphragm. Gaskets are on Ebay number 363003219289.Glad you got it working.

I have rebuild a Clearhooter HF500 . The gaskets were no good and so initially I have left them out. It doesn't work very well! I feel sure the answer will be yes, but I cannot work out why. Should I have gaskets for the horn to work correctly? All advice much appreciated thanks Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

You can treat the Clear Hooter much the same as the Altette. You need gaskets to give clearance to the diaphragm otherwise the rim pinches it.

I've never had a great success rate at making dud horns work but there is often a build up of several gaskets as they obviously perform a shimming process. There might be information and parts on Taff's site.....Although I've heard he's been ill?
http://taffthehorns.com/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Guys. I will try some gaskets. Taff is not active as far as I ha e heard.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1