Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Handlebar Mirrors

I've got this little oval brass mirror on my Indian Special and got to admit, it's a joy to have!! Especially as I often end up as the only one of our group who seems to know the way, so get designated "Tour Leader" and constantly trying to ascertain that everyone is still behind me.
20180506-113658

As soon as I get back onto a WD bike I constantly start looking at the mirror that's not there.
There is another type that I wouldn't mind trying. But so far only found them from US sellers with ridiculous postage costs.
rearview-hand-mirror-20037

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

For what it's worth I have mirrors on all of my bikes. I can't turn round as I used to and my ability to see what the idiots in the tin boxes are up to is more important then what the rivet counters think.

Hans WDM20 58764
Could be in Groningen, but I think this is in the beginning of May '45, when convoys with food were organized from the already liberated parts of the country, to Utrecht and Amsterdam. The DR with a white flag is typical for that period, when there were still trigger-happy German soldiers around.

It would not surprise me if those are supplies for the starving Dutch population at the time, the white flag on vehicles supposedly denoted high priority traffic and you see these on "humanitarian aid" convoys in Holland.

I'm quite liking the idea of wearing a mirror. I've only got mirrors on my Harley and that went from 2, to 1 and back to 2 when I rode to France. No mirrors on any other bike and usually that's not a problem, but any time I go on a bypass or motorway they're needed. I rode my Commando from the South coast to Gloucester on the M5, and wearing an open face helmet and sun glasses wasn't good for looking behind. The glasses nearly flew off a few times. Luckily Wendy was following me in the camper van and we had a system where she pulled out into the fast lane so I could see it was clear to over take without fast cars wiping me out. I've actually been thinking of fitting a mirror.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I wouldn't be without one on the Commando...Overtaking at motorway speeds requires lots of prior observation...On the 16H, I don't miss one, any more than I do on the pedal cycle (although the ears help there too). Overtaking is rare, I hold well back and plan my turns and positioning well in advance. Positioning for visibility and asserting one's position on the road remain good roadcraft, regardless of what the idiot behind is doing.

Keeping a group together would be a factor, but that's not a safety issue.

Hi Ron,
thanks for the link to the wrist mirror - and what a brilliant idea. I've just ordered one. Will also be usual when I'm out with youngest son on the mountain bikes! :smiley:

Nieuwe pagina 1