The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Oil in primary chaincase

Thanks for the reply Ian.
The crankcase breather leaves a small amount of oil on the floor after a run so I assume its working but I will take it off and have look first. No leaks from anywhere else.
I know this sounds daft but I am pretty sure its gearbox oil because of the colour. The gearbox oil is golden in colour and looks likes brand new, which it probably is as I think it was rebuilt 300 miles ago along with the engine. However the engine oil is much darker, I have just whipped the engine sprocket off and its bone dry under there. I think I will strip the clutch further and investigate later. Ive only put about 200 miles on it since I bought it in January but its been throwing oil out whilst Ive been riding it. Hence I wish to try and cure it before it starts covering the MRS in oil when shes sat on the pillion seat.

email (option): colinmbrindley@btinternet.com

Has it been wet sumping while it's been stood?...If it has there will be more oil in the crank case than the return pump can cope with when you start it initially and it will come out through the breather until the crank case is cleared..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I don’t think it’s wet sumping but I’ve not checked. I will tonight after work.

I've found there can be wide variations in how long it takes for a meaningful amount of oil to get to the crank case due to wet sumping...Some engines will do it over an extremely short period, just a couple of days, others can take weeks or even months...

How long is your bike standing for under normal circumstances?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It can be a week before I get chance to go for a ride. Weathers been good though so I’ve managed a few trundles around recently.

About a table spoon full just drained out of the sump, is this Ok after 3 days ?

email (option): colinmbrindley@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1