Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Norton ride out

Yes, I use the petrol proof Matt lacquer on the petrol tank, which protects the decals and C number etc. But haven't sprayed over every part with it. At about £13 a can, it would double the paint cost. Even then, the paint around the filler cap has softened and wrinkled. I also cover the bike in WD40. This new fuel is evil stuff.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

['At about £13 a can, it would double the paint cost...'

Horror, Do you mean aerosol cans?....I was referring to commercially available vehicle lacquer which consists of a two part mix with a lacquer and a seperate activator/hardener. This would normally be applied with a spray gun of course...These lacquers are impervious to modern petrols as they are on car bodies and can be obtained in satin and matt finishes as well as gloss......

I would imagine if the tank was taken to a local paint shop for lacquering after the initial spraying was done the cost wouldn't be too bad if all the preparation was completed and it was ready for the lacquer, even with the paint shop supplying the materials...

Here's a picture of Ron's M20 I took by a field in Normandy to get the poppy background...Not quite as 'dense' as yours though!!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That's a good suggestion Ian, I can spray it myself if I bought some. I've used the cans after they were recommended here many years ago and a can is enough for what I've needed on each project. I used the gloss equivalent over the decals on my little B25 and it's good stuff. A tin of 2 pack would make more sense. Maybe I could spray some tin lacquer I've got on the paintwork under the carb to protect it. This poly paint may also harden with age, as this bike build is only just a year old now and did get a lot of use, 1000 miles last Summer.

Ron, that brilliant if someone has finally found a modern equivalent to KG3.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1