Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VE Day at home this year.

Yeah, it's uncommon but welcome to see something from the North African campaign, most of what you see is centered around Normandy. But in Australia and New Zealand, is it more common? Or do you get many impressions, for example, from the Italian campaign, or from the battles in New Guinea?
Still, it's been a couple times I can't really go to VE day celebrations: this year does not need any explanations, but for example, last year, I was in Spain as my boss wanted me to visit some of this commercial real estate in Barcelona for his investment projects, and the year before that, I was too sick to think of anything else but getting some rest!

email (option): czp02270tr@yahoo.com

As the Norton's didn't make it to the Staford show, we had our own VE Day display and street party.

20200508-152001

20200508-153344

20200508-151954

Great night, talked to neighbours I've not met before and we've just came in off the street at 11:30pm. Good to see the UK celebrating this for once, when my friends in Europe celebrate their towns liberation every year.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Same here. I met neighbors we didn't know we had when we displayed the vehicles out in our road (on a major covid-19 walking route!!)! Took the jeep for drive around the village estates and backwaters with the wife and 'crashed' through about 4 street parties with people shouting that we made their day ! I think that somehow having to stay local has or is doing a lot for sense of community. A good day.
Richard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Keep the photos coming guys,love them of bikes,buildings and people from the mother
country.
Dave J

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

Ron Pier
Ron.

\
Nice photos of the various VE Day celebrations, well done.

VE DAY

What a wonderfull Ve75 was yesterday speaking to so many people who have been walking past socially distancing of course been great seeing the younger generation showing a genuine interest to :)
Tea in the front garden and ww2 music playing!

Awesome pics guys love seeing what you all got up to

My 1944 Raf Norton 16H
Lest we forget

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

VE Day in Caerphilly.
This was me and my Daughter yesterday, we did a few laps of our estate to cheer people up, as everyone else has said already it went down really well.
IMG-20200509-WA0015

image upload

email (option): Alwyndart@gmail.com

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their terrific photos and stories relating to VE Day. This is a very sad and difficult time and particularly the virus is taking off people who are particularly vulnerable and older who we might want especially to celebrate with our love of wartime bikes. So it is good to see at least some small positive come out of it. Well done all and here's hoping we'll all meet again under better circumstances - in the not too far off future
yours with best wishes and stay safe, peter

Don't know how to post picture, does this link work?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157739245736785&set=pcb.10158238261974035&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARBw2YpizCdf4POz81_609mPHczXiFVO_ZrINiMngV3uEIcJAaEe7f_fQxPWytKQaC4G82mqfFNUkdCj

https://s3.photobucket.com/user/sue-deuce/media/ve1.png.html?filters =3786139&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

email (option): sueknight21@hotmail.com

Dave Knight's VE display. Ron

DK

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

VE Day isn't big here, but I did take a 'modern' red / white / blue bike to Eben Emael, where it all kicked off on 10th May 1940...

I had intended to take the 16H but my daughter was feeling a bit shut in and wanted to come along...She's not keen on pillioning rigids. She recieved a history lesson whether she wanted it or not :slightly_smiling_face:

96119440-687831881965337-4691891083821449216-n

That's a nice Commando Rik...My missus simply refuses to go on rigid bikes now...I can't really say I blame her...

I think the bike she liked most out of all of them was my 1972 Rocket 3...Not surprising really, an M20 doesn't really match up in the comfort stakes....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That's a beauty Ian, I bet you regret selling that?

My mate picked up a 69 Rocket 3 last year, very original, just needed tidying. This is the only picture I can find of it hiding behind my Commando :-)

20200101-123559

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

a hello from the south west of France
in tribute, with all my respect ..

norton

A month late, and no bike, but here is our family Jeep on VE Day. It's a 1943 Ford GPW and wears the colours of the Canadian South Saskatchewan Regiment. The SSRs were billeted in my grandparent's village. The WI hut, behind, was used as their canteen and gran worked there as a cook. Grandad used to barter his garden veg and eggs in return for tools and spares. I still have his Canadian spanners in my workshop and carry a token one in the Jeep. After the war they corresponded with several SSRs, well into the 1970s. After the photo I went for a drive around the billet villages of Headley, Grayshott, Bramshott and Liphook. In memory of all Canadian servicemen.
IMG-7353

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Great history and sentiments behind your post....Ian:relaxed:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1