Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Factory repro...

DVLA are mainly concerned about frame numbers, that being original and correct is essential to get an age related reg. They are well aware that any vehicle that's 80 years old has been maintained through out those years, so is unlikely to be the same parts it left the factory with. It looks like they've put a minimum age of 25 years on these parts. There are certain parts that have to be correct for that bike. I think wheel hubs (you can change the rims), forks etc, if these parts are newly made, you run the risk of getting a Q plate.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

"I imagine you meant it was original parts but not an original bike?... "

exactly that.

G3 frame with teles, wrong guards for contract all that sort of thing, but it looked the part, and got featured in Classic bike.

back then,1970ish no one really cared about fine detail, and there was no incredibly knowledgeable Dutch guy around.

Its still going well in the hands of its new owner despite being a rivet counters dream.

I often regret selling it, but it was the right thing to do.

It is not often I land on my feet but as I own the prototype Royal Enfield V Twin EXKX which was submitted for evaluation during WW2 as a potential replacement for the SWD Norton Big 4 - the machine having been returned to the Royal Enfield factory and sold to a Royal Enfield employee in 1946 then you might care to consider this machine which is unique in many areas as genuine.

I have been involved in registering quite a few vehicles over the last 33 years. Not just my own but also for many years as the Dorset area inspector on behalf of the MVT Verification officer.

The criteria laid out in recent years by DVLA is that the vehicle should be a certain percent of the original vehicle or period parts. For instance they won't accept a repro body tub on a Jeep.....(If they know about it).

The answer as Ian suggests is to present them for any inspection with a fully restored "Original" vehicle. I'd also be cautious about using the word 'restored' ........Repainted sound better. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

['I'd also be cautious about using the word 'restored'..']...

Yes, Ron is definitely correct there, 'Loose lips sink ships' (and bikes)...Terminology is important, what you mean by using a particular word may not carry the same meaning when presented to the DVLA...and what is said can't be unsaid...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1