The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Factory repro...

Ian Wright
It appears you can build a machine up now from verified parts and get an age related number if you jump through all the right hoops......It seems the changes at the DVLA are constant as this certainly was not the case previously...I'd check the whole thing thoroughly before you start...Below is a partial extract from the DVLA website...Note the section about reproduction parts, though I'd assume that only applies to more major components so may not affect you ...

I'm still intrigued as to whether you will regard the end result of this project as 'original', a 'replica' a 'facsimile' a 'lookalike' etc. and what you mean by the description you use....Ian

Get an age-related registration number...

DVLA can only recognise your vehicle as a reconstructed classic vehicle if it meets certain criteria. It must be:
•built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle
•a true reflection of the marque

The appropriate vehicle owners’ club for the vehicle type (‘marque’) must inspect the vehicle and confirm in writing that it:
•has been inspected
•is a true reflection of the marque
•is comprised of genuine period components all over 25 years old

They must also give manufacture dates for the major components.

DVLA will assign an age-related registration number to the vehicle based on the youngest component used.

New or replica parts

Your vehicle will not get an age-related registration number if it includes new or replica parts. DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number. Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a ‘Q’ prefix registration number...
Now that's an interesting thing to know, I wasn't aware of the possibility to get the advantages of an actual historical vehicle for a modern reproduction of it! That opens a whole new field of possibilities...

email (option): czp02270tr@yahoo.com

"I imagine you meant it was original parts but not an original bike?... "

exactly that.

G3 frame with teles, wrong guards for contract all that sort of thing, but it looked the part, and got featured in Classic bike.

back then,1970ish no one really cared about fine detail, and there was no incredibly knowledgeable Dutch guy around.

Its still going well in the hands of its new owner despite being a rivet counters dream.

I often regret selling it, but it was the right thing to do.

It is not often I land on my feet but as I own the prototype Royal Enfield V Twin EXKX which was submitted for evaluation during WW2 as a potential replacement for the SWD Norton Big 4 - the machine having been returned to the Royal Enfield factory and sold to a Royal Enfield employee in 1946 then you might care to consider this machine which is unique in many areas as genuine.

I have been involved in registering quite a few vehicles over the last 33 years. Not just my own but also for many years as the Dorset area inspector on behalf of the MVT Verification officer.

The criteria laid out in recent years by DVLA is that the vehicle should be a certain percent of the original vehicle or period parts. For instance they won't accept a repro body tub on a Jeep.....(If they know about it).

The answer as Ian suggests is to present them for any inspection with a fully restored "Original" vehicle. I'd also be cautious about using the word 'restored' ........Repainted sound better. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

['I'd also be cautious about using the word 'restored'..']...

Yes, Ron is definitely correct there, 'Loose lips sink ships' (and bikes)...Terminology is important, what you mean by using a particular word may not carry the same meaning when presented to the DVLA...and what is said can't be unsaid...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

DVLA are mainly concerned about frame numbers, that being original and correct is essential to get an age related reg. They are well aware that any vehicle that's 80 years old has been maintained through out those years, so is unlikely to be the same parts it left the factory with. It looks like they've put a minimum age of 25 years on these parts. There are certain parts that have to be correct for that bike. I think wheel hubs (you can change the rims), forks etc, if these parts are newly made, you run the risk of getting a Q plate.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1