The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wrench size

Nathan, you've done it again!
Stop being a smart arse with you're passive aggressive comments. Get over yourself.
I agree a list of sizes would be useful but please word your comments in a more friendly manner.
I have just come back to reading the forum having been busy doing another military project vehicle a Land Rover Lightweight.
I can tell you I was surprised by the arguments.
I have found Ian's input and that of other members invaluable and fascinating.
I do not always agree but enjoy the banter.
I have a lot of respect for these people especially as they don't have to share their knowledge.
I would have struggled even more in my rebuild of my 1942 M20 without them.
This is a great forum headed by Henk, let's all play nicely!
Jon Sewell.

email (option): jonsewell8@hotmail.co.

Ian has actually put quite a lot of info on the "Technical" page. Including M20 thread sizes:-

http://www.wdbsa.nl/Threads.htm

and generic spanner sizes:-

http://www.wdbsa.nl/spanner%20sizes.htm

Bob is right, the head bolt spanner is 5/16 Whit. There should be no need to use either metric or AF spanners on an M20. You need only Whit/BSF spanners.

Of course someone will probably pick me up on the spark plug and speedo head nuts:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks all, socket 5/8" was the one I should use, but had too much play. So I bought a socket 19/32" no good either,
No luck with 16 mm, I now look for 5/16 withworth 🤔
Cheers
John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Plenty of Whit sockets on ebay. But I prefer and have a set of long series hex 3/8 Drive Britool sockets. Similar to these. The hex sockets as opposed to the 12 point sockets will often undo a rounded off nut and less likely to bur the corners. Ron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Sockets-Set-Whitworth-X4/164215623697?hash=item263c039011:g:JTQAAOSwFAteoXJ2

Thanks for the info Ron. Was Just looking on the internet. I use a 1/2" adapter and as you say use a six sided socket.
John

I doesn't matter what size (1/2") ratchet you have John. You can get 1/4-3/8-1/2-3/4 reducers and increasers to cover every eventuality.

I've got Whit, AF and Metric to cope with most mechanical operations that I deal with. Which include a few specials that I've only used once or twice sometimes. :relaxed: Ron
DSCF2886

Plastic handled screwdrivers ? Where's the pleasure in that ? 'Perfect' and 'Cabinet' pattern for me with the odd 'London' pattern if I'm worried it'll roll off the bench.

My 3/8" King Dick sockets are all twelve point and have never marked anything. There is a world of difference between dismantling a rusty wreck and routine maintenance on a properly assembled motorcycle.

Decent dull chrome will survive 25 lbs/ft applied through a 12-point socket and it seems to me that most cheap sockets are 6-point. My feeling is that the quality is more important than the pattern.

Yes, all my ring spanners are 12 point and most of my sockets and also never have problems of marking a nut or bolt. .... But no use on rounded off bolts off course.

All quality German Stahlwille though but that was what I could find here on the jumbles in the correct Withworth size. Think the Dutch army used Stahlwille and a lot ended up on the jumbles..

Hi, Ron I see that some of your sockets are coated red inside. Is this a trick that I've been missing out on, or just the result of using a socket to prop up a part while priming? All the best, Glenn.

email (option): Glenn.mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Ha Ha Glenn. Those sockets go back to my Motor Mechanic days in the 60's when I painted the inside of my Whitworth sockets for easy ID.:+1: Ron

All is well that ends well. Just bought the right socket on eBay. 😀

John 👍

Ron Pier
Ha Ha Glenn. Those sockets go back to my Motor Mechanic days in the 60's when I painted the inside of my Whitworth sockets for easy ID.:+1: Ron
lol, very good Ron! and there was me thinking that maybe there was a new coating out there that was supper grippy on damaged nuts and didn't mark new cadmium! Beats grinding or welding your initials into everything! ...Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1