Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Allen Millyard

Not WD at all but I find Allen Millyard such a clever engineer. People I know who've met him say what a pleasant and humble bloke he is. He rode that Millyard Special which was made from part of an aircraft radial engine to one of Poole Quay biker nights and a group of my mates spent an hour with him discussing it. Ron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCqaW_gWdI

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Allen Millyard

I don't like much of what he does...Giant engines and the resulting impractical bikes aren't really my thing and I prefer to see a more practical outcome...(which some have been)

However, he's the creator and he can create what he likes. Whatever the view though, you have to admire his skills, ingenuity and his productivity...If I'd built one special of that type (the Velo V twin for example) I'd feel I'd done pretty well and he has created many.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Oh yes! There's nothing of his that I've seen that I'd want to own or ride. It's just the engineering that fascinates me. Ron

The V twin Velo is stunning. Looks to be totally practical and a bike you could use every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-92lW7irI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0aY7sHNAGw

Just noticed he says he's fitted an anti-wetsumping valve :-D

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

"Just noticed he says he's fitted an anti-wetsumping valve"

Velocette were always notorious for wet sumping and I believe it was Veloce who invented the Anti wet sup valve which they fitted as standard to their oil feed pipe directly into the oil tanks. Ron

MAF-193

Yes I know, it alway's surprised me how far away it is from the oil pump. But if Allen Millyard can't come up with a better solution, the valve has to be the way to go.... But I think we've already got a thread about this subject :-D

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I would love to ride the Dodge Viper engined bike, there aint no substitute for cubes, as the Yanks say, and I'd also like to try the Honda 100 V twin, its just soooo cute.

'Unique' doesn't necessarily equate to 'good' in my book...Reasonable power, light weight, good brakes and good handling with no engineering just for the sake of it is what makes a great motorcycle special for me....

In my view the true purpose of a motorcycle is for it to be ridden at the end of the day, so anything that compromises or detracts from that turns it into an exercise in engineering or a form of engineering art...Not the same thing at all I feel....

Of course there's a debate to be had about the limits of the criteria I've outlined above and as usual everyone will have their own idea...

I'm not keen on 'wasted' engineering, for example, more programmes on the washing machine than anyone uses, an electric carving knife so that you don't have to simply move your arm, unnecessarily complex cars or other consumer goods etc. etc....These things are more about selling products and the psychology of the purchaser than they are about practicality and good engineering design...

Things like the 48 cylinder Kawasaki someone built and the Millyard V10 fall into a category that produces a similar result for me...I don't see much merit in producing a bike that is completely impractical just because you can...And if you do, it should come under the heading of art or engineering for fun, not motorcycles...Ian

Touchy aren't we?....I was expressing my view of the work done by Alan Millyard within the context of the post and noted more than once that my criteria may be different to those of other people....I guess you didn't read those bits...

I have no desire to 'impose my personal preferences' on anyone..I don't feel I have anything to prove to anyone else personally....Each individual has their own view and can freely express it on this forum...At times that may provoke a response...If you can't cope with that then perhaps you shouldn't express a view..
I am merely expressing mine for others to consider and, if they choose to, reject, comment on, agree with or 'none of the above'...

There's really no need to tell me the many reasons why people ride bikes either, I already know...I've been immersed in the motorcycle world for 50 years and have spent much of that time looking at the subject from every angle...

I made no comment specifically intended to provoke a response and it seems it is you that want to engage in a 'pissing contest' as you put it...

I'm happy to argue with you if you want to but generally to date that has proven to be a fruitless exercise as you are the living embodiment of what you accuse me of being....You are only prepared to accept your own world view as the correct one even though that is based on limited actual experience as far as I can deduce...

I am confident in saying that most people here are very happy with my contributions to this forum which I think you'll find has been extensive in many regards...

For the benefit of the forum I'll try my very best not to express any more contrary views to what you say, I know it upsets you...Bless...Is that OK?....Ian:relaxed:

The test of a good forum is that it should be a place where people can express their opinions in a non-confronting way and others can accept that everyone has their own views. Please let's not lose that?

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

['For the benefit of the forum I'll try my very best not to express any more contrary views to what you say, I know it upsets you...']

Your will is my desire....No comment...:laughing: ....Ian

['For the benefit of the forum I'll try my very best not to express any more contrary views to what you say, I know it upsets you...']

Calm down dear, as I said...No comment...:laughing: ....Ian

Just checked the top of the page, yep still says "WD Motorcycle forum", I thought for a moment I had landed on Mums Net somehow. :thinking_face:
Things should calm down soon, Boris says you can all ride again, just take a pair of trainers and claim you are off for a run when you get there.:wink:
Cheers

Pete,
Mums net would be an improvement!!!

Nieuwe pagina 1