Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pickling paint inside my tank!

Chaps, having not started up my M20 for a couple of years I decided it was time to service it and have a ride when times allow. However on opening the tank cap, all the red oxide coating that has always been inside the tank ( I have the bike since 1975 ) has lifted. I am assuming this is the wretched ethanol in the fuel? Anyway, can some kind soul advise a fix for this please? I am assuming that it will have to be cleaning out chemically and re coated with something. Not best pleased from Kent !!! thanks Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Re: Pickling paint inside my tank!

Andrew,
Might be worth looking at POR15, a three stage treatment, which Frost restoration sell. As Ethanol levels increase (I believe we currently have 5% in the UK but 10% is on its way) I don't know how it will react though. Suggest you contact Frost and talk to their technical dept. I been very impressed with POR15 when I've used it.
Good luck!
Mark

If the paint (if that's what it is) has been removed/loosened by the petrol but the tank isn't leaking then I don't see that you really need a tank sealant....

I'd investigate something to completely remove any residual paint, then thoroughly wash the tank through with the taps removed and refit it...Fill up and see what happens..

Of course, if what you had was an old tank liner complete removal and replacement is the only answer....The last one I did I used 'Tapox'...I recall they make a 'remover' as well for old lining material...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks for the reply Mark. I am aware of the POR15 and will speak with Frost. I think the issue is removing the old paint, I know they used to recommend a product called Marine Clean, but again not sure whether thats a paint remover or not. More investigation required. As my bike was so original , we had it straight out of storage when it had come out of the Army and not used since, I had thought the red oxide inside the tank was a standard coating which others would have and hence may have experienced. If I could work out how to post a photo I will add a shot of the inside of the tank. thx Andrew

hi Ian, and thanks for the reply. As above, I feel sure the red oxide is just paint. I will get a photo loaded somehow. Reference Ethanol, its certainly dreadful stuff and perhaps one reason for putting a new coating that is E10 resistant inside the tank as I think we all know how corrosive Ethanol is.
I think I had better start by getting the tank off the M20 and see what I can do. I have used caustic soda and spirit of salts in a prescribed process ( NOT TO BE DONE WITHOUT THE INSTRUCTIONS AS THEY GIVE OFF GASES) to remove rust and tarnish. The article detailing how to do that was from a motorcycle magazine. BUT that was for rust and residues not paint. I will try to find the article once more. thanks

Hi Andrew, just finished cleaning out my C.O. tank which was full of petrol gunge, melted petseal and rust. First I put in a bottle of Daganflys heavy duty petseal remover and left in for four days swilling round regularly. After draining I put in half a gallon of acetone and left that in for a couple of days, swilling round regularly. After draining and allowring to dry some petseal was still in the seams, so I repeated the process. Atfer this it looked much better, but still a lot of rust. I then put in half a gallon of break cleaner and a load of small sharp flints and swilled around for a few days. This did the trick and cleaned the rust scale was gone. Finished off with some phosphoric acid which gave the inside a very clean finish. Now has plenty of WD40 inside until I need to use it. A rather long winded process but well worth it.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks Mick. Great intel there. Funnily enough a mate who plays around with bikes, non military, told me this afternoon to use brick cleaner as well, so there must be something in it. As my tank was empty I managed to scrape the dry lose bits of paint off and then put in Henry the hoover who scooped up quite a bit of flaking paint. All in al I have a road path here thanks to you all for responding . I am not so daunted by the exercise now, only concerned as the outside of the tank is all pretty and marked up with div signs etc. I hope I Can do this without destroying the exterior paint. thanks again.

Nieuwe pagina 1