Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Enfield gearbox

Hi I have rebuilt my '44 CO gearbox and have good selection of all gears when using a spanner on the end of the operating shaft, when I mount the foot change mechanism it becomes very clunky,not selecting every time and getting neutrals between the gears, not all the time but frequently. I'm thinking maybe the inner and outer ratchets are worn, would be grateful for opinions on their condition, or any other ideas to cure the problem as I have never had a Royal Enfield box apart before. Cheers Barry

DSC_0614

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Royal Enfield gearbox

Hello Barry, I remember my WD/CO being similar when on the bench, but the gear change was easier when on the bike and the gears were turning. Maybe you can apply more torque with the spanner that’s with the photo change lever? It took a bit of fettling on the bike to get it right as well.

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Cheers Tom

Typical problem on these gearboxes:
Schermafbeelding-2020-05-07-om-08-43-50
Schermafbeelding-2020-05-07-om-08-13-26
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

very useful information Jan thanks

I have worked on many RE/Albion gearboxes and this is a common fault, especially after a rebuild. I have found that the advice shown in the manual does work but of course, filing away the teeth of the ratchet has a risk, if you get it wrong there's no going back! It's the inner ratchet that seems to be the problem, unless of course the outer ratchet is noticeably badly worn, which is possible if the box has been repeatedly stamped into gear. The answer I have found is to have a couple of spare inner ratchets and selectively assemble. All other factors being equal this is the fix. Adjusting the pressure on the detent plunger has no bearing on this problem regardless of what you'll find commonly written on other RE boards! Word of warning, the relative position of the square in the centre of the ratchet and the teeth of the ratchet is different between 'early' boxes like those fitted to the WD models and later (post 1954) flat front Albion boxes. Easy to pick up the wrong one when rummaging in boxes at an autojumble!
REgards, Mark

Thanks Mark after quite a bit of mucking about I've come to the conclusion the inner ratchet is the big issue
Cheers Barry

Nieuwe pagina 1