Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beat the virus - ride a motorcycle

This is off-topic. But under the circumstances I hope you guys will pardon the intrusion. We've designed and organized the production of a hi-viz vest bearing the legend: BEAT THE VIRUS - RIDE A MOTORCYCLE.

The idea is to encourage non-bikers to get mobilised on two wheels and thereby help cut the transmission of Covid-19. Also, the bike trade is in serious trouble - and the bike trade underpins the entire motorcycle scene in the UK - and elsewhere. We want to help support that trade.

We're not making a penny on these vests. And because we're not printing them in bulk, we can't get the price down as low as we like (ideally around £5, all-in).

So the price, including VAT and postage is £9 per vest. Alternately, we're happy to send the artwork to anyone who requests it, free of charge or commitment or obligation. So you can have your own vest printed, or do whatever else you want to do with the design.

Classic bikers, as a group, are likely to be hit harder than many other demographics. We're older, and many of us have underlying health issues. So it makes sense to do what little, or whatever, we can to promote safer travelling in the UK and elsewhere.

If you want to order a vest, you can email us at feedback@sumpmagazine.com and tell us your size and how many items you want. We'll come back to you either with a payment button or details of how to pay. We'll adjust postage for multiple items. Hi-vizz vests aren't cool. We know that. But death is considerably colder.

You can read more about these vests at:

https://sumpmagazine.com/classicbikenews/cb-news-april-2020.htm#beat-the-virus

I repeat, we know this is off-topic. But as of about 10 minutes ago, 27,000 people have died of this virus in the UK. We'll possibly be looking at 50,000 upward before this is over. 24,000 have died in France. 4,800 in the Netherlands. This thing is too big and too dangerous to worry about niceties.

email (option): feedback@sumpmagazine.com

Re: Beat the virus - ride a motorcycle

Danny I applaud your sentiments, but it's to early to suggest anyone goes anywhere on any form of transport. The government advice is "STAY AT HOME". Which is actually more than advice as people are being fined for traveling with no legitimate reason and even tickets being given to BBQ and Jacuzzi parties.

We'd all love to be out on our bikes, but it makes my blood boil when I hear that some people think that they can't do any harm by flouting the rules. If everyone thought the same, we'd be back to normal!!

As much as I regret any downturn in the motorcycle industry (I just heard yesterday that our local big motorcycle shop "Three Cross Motorcycles" has gone into administration) It's a drop in the ocean compared to others.

Currently parked at our local airport (Hurn, Christchurch) is about 100 BA planes at from £80,000,000 to £400,000,000 each.....The mind boggles at the figures.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, you misunderstand. This isn't about joyriding. I've been locked down for the past 6 weeks, and I'm staying put. This is about people who NEED to travel to keep the country running. NHS workers. Other emergency workers. Repair engineers. Shop assistants. Etc.

There are still millions on the move daily, many of whom use public transport. These people are highly exposed to the virus, and it seems that the more exposed you are, the worse the onset.

My message is simple. Stay locked down for all but ESSENTIAL travel. But if you are travelling by motorcycle, you might consider advising others to follow your lead. Public transport is too risky. Does that clarify things?

Danny, it really should be "Beat the virus, DON'T ride your motorcycle".

I will repeat what I said on the previous thread about drive it day.

If you fall off you will end up putting more pressure on the NHS and you will look unbelievably stupid.

Other people who see you doing your hobby will think if they can do that we can do ours and all play football in the park together to name but one hobby.

You will risk the "R" rate rising just by going to a garage for petrol, let alone meeting other motorcyclists.

Use your common sense.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Like this:relaxed: Ron
IMG-20200430-WA0002

Belgium has got its hospital admissions and particularly ICU figures under control and from Monday, we're allowed to ride...The idea of overburdening the health services worries me, but if we thought that we were going to fall off, then we wouldn't do it anyway.

They've classed motorcycling as a solitary sport which suggests that the responsible minister rides a girder-rigid rather than a modern BM...

As things stand, it looks as if I shall be able to move up to the Dyle line on 10th May...Eighty years after the BEF. I've been out of the house four times in the last five weeks. I think that I'm ready.

I repeat what I just said. This isn't about joyriding. It's about ESSENTIAL travel. I don't understand why anyone made the jump to joyriding. Can't see anywhere that I suggested that.

But as a side point, statistically speaking you're actually more likely to have an accident whilst staying at home than riding a motorcycle on everyday roads. DIY accidents with power tools. Falling off step ladders. Chainsaw accidents. Car jack giving way. Getting murdered by your spouse. The list goes on. It's fine being "on message". But there are other truths behind the message.

When skylab fell to earth, they used helicopters to move everyone from the danger area. Sounds fine, but later it was realised that death by helicopter was far more likely than death by skylab.

But I repeat: STAY AT HOME. SIT DOWN. READ A BOOK. WATCH TV. PRACTICE YOGA. SLEEP. BE CAREFUL WITH THE POWER TOOLS. And so on. But if you have to travel (and many still do), use a motorcycle rather than public transport and encourage others to follow your lead.

I'm as troubled by Covid-19 as everyone else. I'm not advocating flouting the rules - but I do recommend that we constantly question the rules and see if they're still applicable. The rule-makers often get it wrong.

Danny I'm sorry I didn't get it.

Ron didn't get it either until you explained it, do you think there may be a chance other people won't get it and you should perhaps rethink the wording?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob, that's okay. We have added a footnote to our news story on Sump. But we did say within the piece:

"Secondly the bike trade will benefit by reminding travellers and commuters that there is an alternative to risky public transport which, epidemiologically speaking, is little more than a Petri dish for the virus."

We thought that suggested non-leisure riding.

Here's that link again to our story:

https://sumpmagazine.com/classicbikenews/cb-news-april-2020.htm#beat-the-virus

Thanks for the update.

Yep, sorry if I jumped in too quick Danny. My anger at what I see and hear around me was bubbling up......And still is! I'm even getting motorcycling buddies suggesting that we can't do any harm if we just ride down to the Purbecks with a flask of coffee. Stupid boys!!:rage:

Danny I'll happily buy the coffee and cakes whenever we meet up again. Ron:cake: :coffee:

Thanks, Ron.

Our local village has a large concentration of nurses doctors and consultants,I had a long,but socially distanced conversation with one of them last week. Interesting stuff, despite what the media have been saying about poor preparations and lack of PPE, she was quite happy with how it was all going.The plans they had in place were working well,they had enough kit and staff etc. (Although when she explained how often they have to change the PPE gear, they are absolutely romping through it)
The one big worry that they have is that people are not visiting doctors or making hospital appointments for "normal" conditions - For fear of contracting the virus. So they are concerned that they will be in total overload once the restrictions are relaxed. She also said that the A+E is very short of work,which again is a worry, perhaps people suffering unnecessarily.

I'm lucky enough to be retired so don't have to suffer the commute by public transport from West Berkshire to London anymore. It used to be a horrendous commute on packed trains and the tube so I totally get what Danny's saying about avoiding public transport.....

Nowadays, observing the rules of the lockdown if I do have to go out it is for essentials only, such as prescriptions and food shopping for Mrs M and I, plus also doing the same for our elderly neighbours.......

I have 5 WD bikes currently on the road so a choice of transport if I decide to take a bike out....

But I've also got a new car with less than 200 miles on the clock sitting on the drive, so out of preference and practicality I take that instead....there's only me in it after all...!

Nieuwe pagina 1