Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James ML stand arrangement

I'm making steady progress with my James ML. Wheels are built and sprayed (using knackered bearings for now), engine is sprayed and in the frame. Tonight I tried fitting the stand and the brackets which come off the square bar, but can't work out how the pieces fit together. I have the serrated spacers and bolts, but I read in the manual that the brackets are left and right handed, and it looks to me that I have two left hand brackets. Both are marked with 'L *No* H', and I'm assuming the other shoul read 'R *No* H'?

The other issue I encountered was fitting the front engine mount bolt. I could only get the 1.5" bolt in from the left hand side, with the nut and washer on the right hand side, but this leaves no room to be able to remove the HT lead. Is it normal practice or remove the engine mount bolt to unscrew the HT lead, or has my engine been rebuilt with the wrong flywheel backplate?

Many thanks,

A baffled Tom

email (option): Tomillward@hotmail.com

Re: James ML stand arrangement

Tom my front engine bolt/nut is the same. I guess a slim nut could reduce/eliminate the HT lead problem.

You will have to make or alter one of your stand plates to make a mirror image of the other one. Ron
DSCF2767

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Tom
Within the same thread on the HMVF that Ron refered me to regarding the mudguard rivets there are some really good pics of the stand bracket and spring arrangement. It’s in the motorcycle section something along the lines of opinions wanted?!!! I can check the parts so have next time I am at the workshop, but I made my own.
Kind regards

Daren

email (option): 427daren@gmail.com

Thanks gents, I rang Terry Roberts this morning and they make a pair of repro parts, so will order and fit a new right hand part. I've got access to limited workshop facilities at the moment so making one would be beyond me.

Thanks for the tip with HMVF, I'll go and take a look.

Does anyone know the thread type on the square footrest bar? It's not BSCY, is it BSF?

Tom.

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

I just took one of my nuts off to check. It's 7/16 x 26tpi BSC. Can you count the threads over 1/2"? BSF is 18tpi there is also a 20tpi BSC (same as UNF but with Whitworth thread form). Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1