Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DU42 blackout mask

Does anyone have a picture of the contents of the DU42 blackout mast pilot light aperture. I took mine apart ages ago and have either lost bits or it was missing them in the first place, as there is only the backing plate that screws the assembly together and a perforated metal disc which is rattling around inside. Should there also be a white Perspex part and a seal of some form?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Re: DU42 blackout mask

No seal I don't think (there wasn't in my original blackout anyway), but there is an opaque, white celluloid disc in there....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, do you know which order the parts are assembled in? I.e is it the celluloid disc or the metal disc which is outermost?

Tom

email (option): Tomillward@hotmail.com

I recall the celluloid disc was outermost...but hang fire, that will soon be corrected if I'm wrong!!...I don't have the blackout mask anymore so can't actually check it....Ian

Tom here's a scan from an Ariel W/NG parts list. Ron
Scan-20200430-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Well that looks like two celluloid discs, one perforated metal disc and (perhaps) a seal or seating ring along with the retaining cup....Mine didn't have a seal and only one celluloid disc.....and I thought mine was complete...:laughing: ....Ian

Thanks Ron, a picture is always helpful. Did the mask I swapped with you have all those parts? I got all my masks from one place, all were in original paint, and mine is missing the two celluloid discs. Traces of the seal remain, but alas no celluloid discs. I assume one will be clear and one white/opaque?

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Yes from memory I have one with one clear and one opaque disc, its possible the number of discs changed as the war went along or that there were different regulations in different theatres which resulted in the removal of certain bits?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

It's on my ML Tom. To be honest I only remember one celluloid disc. Ron

MLDSCF1717-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If it's as per the later version, then there is a transluscent white disc at the back, followed by the perforated steel disc and then protected by clear plastic.

Motor-Cycle-5-3-45-Headlamp

That's great thanks gents. I'll start looking out for some suitable materials to complete my blackout mask.

email (option): Tomillward@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1