Ariel WNG...

An ex Wehrmacht Ariel WNG has turned up...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Ariel WNG...

Here's another pic...Ian

Ian.
I had heard of one for sale (not sure if it was a WNG) in Germany. Something to do with someone in the management of BMW or thereabouts.
Total sleeper. Captured bike run in the Wehrmacht, totally original and untouched ?
Richard.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Extraordinairy.
Should it be kept in this condition ?
After all, it's a piece of history.

Please don't restore this, it must be unique, gentle recommissioning only and a piece of history is preserved, it can only be original once.

Is it a WN/G ? If so then it must have been captured in Italy...It has been run post-war, judging by the reflector and the rear lamp...Tank paintwork seems a little odd too...Why would the Wehrmacht paint details of an 8km test run on top of the fuel tank ?

WH29779 is a very low registration number, issued pre-war to the Wehrkreis II(Military District)at Stettin...

I'd be very careful about this one.

Didn't the French Army receive some W/NG's just prior to the German invasion ?
Arielinfrance

Rik...What makes you say it was captured in Italy?...Although the paint looks like the German 'Dunkel gelb' colour it is also very similar to the later war German colour used for the cammo pattern 'base'...

It certainly has some very typically European parts retro fitted as was done to many captured bikes....Ian

Just the date, Ian...The BEF hand no W/NGs and there were lots in Italy...Greece could have been a possibility but then the date on the fuel tank is two years later...Whereabouts is it now ?

Gary could be right. It still has it's early luggage rack and rubber mounted bars and bolted on pillion foot rests. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The bike was found in France but is now in the UK...Ian

Do we know the frame and engine numbers? I have access to the Ariel ledgers with the French contract bikes...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Are there any more photos Ian ?

This is the only other photo I have at the moment...I'll try to get the engine and/or frame number...Ian

Thankyou Ian, headlight is typical pre-war/wartime fitment as found on BMW R12 & Zundapps KS600 motorcycles.
Gary

So is the speedometer and the steering damper knob.

I am not 100% sure but the front hub does not look like a W/NG one.
It looks like a pressed steel one with a speedo drive box on the nearside.
Nice is the green emailled tank logo, only on early W/NG's
3 brush dynamo ?

email (option): vincent@vincentvanginneke.com

It's all purely speculative in the absence of a frame and engine number.........

It is, however, looking to be a pre-1942 W/NG on account of the early rear carrier, rubber-mounted handlebar, screw-on tank badges, etc.....is that KG.No.3 I can see on the left side of the fuel tank on the tank badges and where the knee grip rubber was....?

Does any one know what the writing on the tank is translated,8km road test (Riks translation),could part of the red writing translate to OHV, maybe it was tested by the Germans at a testing site for captured vehicles and they wrote details on the tank for future reference,there is also most of a Triumph 5SW still with original German paint/markings in the UK.

Last time I saw that one it was owned by Steve Jones of Yeoman's. I sold him a rear mudguard tail piece for it.
I can't remember anything about the frame and engine numbers, but I wonder how it got into German ownership? Ron

Not the same bike Ron, I can state with complete certainty that he didn't own this particular Ariel...He may have had an Ariel, but not this one...What Steve does have is a Triumph with German markings that was brought back from North Africa and I suspect is the one mentioned in Steves previous post...Ian

You misunderstood me Ian. See Steve S's previous post! It is the Triumph I'm talking about. It was in the back of his pick up on one of my visits to Steve Jones with Gordon. It was missing at least it's tail piece and I sold him one that was quite a good match for the 'patina'd' paintwork. Ron

Apologies Ron...I did indeed misunderstand the post...:hugging_face: ....Ian

If it is indeed a French Government contract Ariel then it must be pretty much a unique survivor and deserves investigation in detail as little is known of the specifications. They were clearly the predecessor of the W/NG but were listed by Ariel simply as 'NG' although they were single port with none of the deLuxe parts.

Translation:

K? Reichenberg
Firm Otto Seidel
Test Drive: 8 km
Accepted: 27-09-43
Loaded: 18.9.?? (18.09.43 ?)

Reichenberg is a small town near Würzburg Germany. There is a railway-station which makes it possible to load and unload bigger quantities of vehicles. I have tried to find out something about the firm of Otto Seidel. Otto Seidel however is a “ common” name in Germany. I’m still sorting out!

email (option): Phtl2007@xs4all.nl

A workshop getting captured bike operational for the German Army?....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1