Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saddle spring colour!

Hi all and hope your all well and safe,
Can anyone help with some advise regarding saddle springs colour, I’ve seen them in service brown and also black!
What colour would that have been from factory?
Also would Speedo be black or brown??
3hw project going well but still some way to go!
Simon

Re: Saddle spring colour!

Simon I can't see any reason why Triumph or any other manufacturer would have picked any thing out in different that service colour. Apart from headlamp blackouts and sometimes rims which probably came in from Lucas in satin black. Ron

1942-350ohv

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes I agree Ron, some stunning Ed examples at Birmingham national motorcycle museam, and was there I noticed black springs!
How about the speedo Ron, black or bike colour?

Just look at the picture Simon. I don't know why people paint those things black? While you're at it....Paint the petrol cap red :smiley:
Even the batteries were painted in service colour......Mostly!!!Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes picture does seem to show a lighter shade than Matt black, get the saddle springs being service colour, but surprised that smiths speedometer were supplied to triumph or Bsa in service brown or green, but I bow to your photo!
Thanks also Ron for the triumph logo ref numbers
Cheers

Saddle frame and springs were supplied in the appropriate 'service colour' for the time period. On my '39 bike, the originals were definitely KG No.3..Even early-war MT110 lamps and MCR1 boxes were specified as 'Service Colour'.

If the museum has black springs then I'd suspect that they have bought a pattern saddle and not painted it.

I assume that there were occasions around the changeover of colours when bought-in parts were not the same colour as the rest of the machine...it must have occurred with in-service replacements too.

Don't use the bikes in the National Motorcycle Museum as a definitive guide to specifications....The example of a WDM20 they had prior to the fire was wrong in a number of ways...(I got the head off it after the fire, the bike got completely burnt out)...

My pals Calthorpe is in the museum and is also not correct...I know, I made some of the parts. Other models with which I'm pretty familiar were the same...A lot of it was details rather than fundamentally wrong parts but it's what matters if your doing a 'correct' restoration...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Im sure its going to be incorrect but I am considering using the Gun barrel cold blacking method quoted by Ron & Ian .

As I intend the WM20 to be daily Summer transport I shant be too worried about 100% authenticity .

Am considering blacking the engine studs & sundry incidentals similarly ?

email (option): s.foster11@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1