Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Throttle return 1942 wdm20

Morning Folks
Just returned from the garage after countless hours fiddling ,cleaning and greasing the bike in the vain hope i may get to actually ride the thing soon !!
Can someone tell me if the throttle is meant to automatically return to idle when the twist grip is released or (as on mine) you have to help it a bit by manually turning the twist grip to the closed position ? Cable is well greased and path seems ok .
I have other later machines where the throttle returns shut via a return spring .
Just wanted to know what i should expect as dont want to try fixing something that does not need fixing .
Many thanks

email (option): AGTREDGETT@TALKTALK.NET

Re: Throttle return 1942 wdm20

Whether the throttle 'snaps' shut can depend on a number of factors...
The throttle type you have fitted....Some (most) throttles have an adjustable friction pad to alter the return, anything from having to be shut manually to snapping shut depending on the setting...
The routing and condition of the throttle cable...If the cable has any sharp bends in the routing, is cable tied too tightly to the frame, is 'pinched' by the petrol tank, isn't lubricated well or has any frayed strands on the inner cable all these things can stop it snapping shut...
How free the slide is in the carburettor body...If the carb mounting nuts are over tightened it can distort the carb body causing the slide to have tight spots...

Personally I like my throttle to snap shut, which it does on my M20.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian and Nathan
Many thanks for the replies ,looks like i have something to do tomorrow as snap shut option would be my preferred option too .

Kind regards and safe riding (assuming we ever get any !)

Adrian

email (option): AGTREDGETT@TALKTALK.NET

I like to have my throttle with slight friction on it,so I can stick my arm out when turning right.

email (option): johnbrogdale@yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1