Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What years are service brown?

Mike Hoffman I think Ron

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Fortunately my M20 is '41 so I can use KGP No3....I did my Triumph 5SW in the brown and have seen it on others as well and I don't really like it myself....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Andrew Honychurch
Mike Hoffman I think Ron
That's him Andrew. I seem to remember he sold his shop and MV collection and moved to, or near his boat in Sussex. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

My Ariel W/NG was built in April 1942 according to the factory records. It was found in the 1990's, dismantled, in a coal bunker in Kent.....it was still in the original wartime colour and had not been re-painted.....

The colour was Khaki-Green No.3......seemingly, Ariel must have been using up their stocks of this colour before switching to SCC. No.2 brown......

Mike Hoffman was ( is ? ) a lovely chap . I recall staying with him and his wife in the late 80s at their house in Lechlade whilst picking up an engine for my Daimler Armoured Car. I think he moved to France to live on a boat and I fear tragedy truck with the loss of his wife not long after. Everything he restored was genuinely superb. He was a stickler for attention.

I would love to see a photo of the original KG no 3. I am part way through my G3WO restoration and the supplier of the KG no 3 has gone out of business. I have enough to match to and am looking for someone to mix some to finish my restoration. Ah trials and tribulations. Stay safe friends.

Steve Madden
My Ariel W/NG was built in April 1942 according to the factory records. It was found in the 1990's, dismantled, in a coal bunker in Kent.....it was still in the original wartime colour and had not been re-painted.....

The colour was Khaki-Green No.3......seemingly, Ariel must have been using up their stocks of this colour before switching to SCC. No.2 brown......
In my Royal Enfield WD Models Register I have a couple of motorcycles that can give us some more precise information about the date when Enfield started using S.C.C.2 (because their stocks of K.G.3 had run out): frame number # 12828 was despatched on December 1st 1942, and was still painted in khaki. Frame number # 15432 was despatched March 27th 1943, and was originally brown...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1