The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Armoury Road.

Interesting Steve!

The camouflaged building is the one that hasn't been demolished yet...

I've been researching the Birmingham Blitz, and the impact on the BSA factory. The November 19th 1940 air raid must have damaged the M20 production line, as production didn't continue until December... More information on the Birmingham History Forum, #72 onwards. You may have to become a forum member to see all the pictures though...

Oh, by the way Ian, I've also got a brick of the Royal Enfield factory! :blush:

Jan (aka REWDCO)

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Steve S.

Below a model of the damage to the new building after the air raid on 19th Nov 1940,the M20 assembly line was not damaged but the two other blocks of the building were hit.

cmi7wjb

Maybe the M20 assembly line wasn't damaged after the November 19th air raid, but it did have its effect on the production of the M20. When I look in the ledgers, the production was going strong until November 19th 1940 (approximately WM20.30000). Some bikes were despatched the days after the raid, but then we have a gap until the end of December! It looks as if the production of the WM20 was halted for a month due to this air raid!

Schermafbeelding-2017-10-18-om-22-24-48

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Jan some very interesting stuff on the Birmingham history forum, will visit that site regularly, haven't looked at all the posts,Acumen, Norton, Watsonian etc, I went past the what's left of the BSA factory last July on the way to founders day rally (on T140) Its only about 10 miles away from where I live, have stopped off there a few times in the past usually on a Sunday when the roads are less crowded. Ian I think the photo with the neon lights was taken in 1953 the year of the Queens coronation.

Nieuwe pagina 1