Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
V.A.O.S. LV7 Lists.

I've seen very little reference here to the "Lists of Proprietary Equipment and Makers' Spare Parts" which seem to accompany a reasonable proportion of the pre-war and early-war Spare Parts Lists. In terms of the Nortons, these are principally the Amal and Lucas parts and they're useful because they show the full manufacturer's part number and designation.

I've seen (but don't have a copy of all) the following Norton lists. As part of my ongoing research into the MCR1 and M01 changes, I'd also be interested to see those from the other WD motorcycle manufacturers, especially for the period 1939 / 1940.

C9681 (1937)
6-C-9681
A9764 (1939)
10-A-9764

C5109 (1939)
15-C5109
V3565 (1941 booklet to 1939 contract)
16-V-3565
C5612 (1940)
18-C5612

Re: V.A.O.S. LV7 Lists.

...a couple more (the first upload was too large)

C6127 (1940)
19-C6127
C7353 (1940)
22-C7353

Apart from a further C5109 booklet updated in 1941, I have not seen any for later Norton contracts.

Hi Rik, I will sort through all my files, but here is a later war reprint of an early contract BSA list to get the ball rolling.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

And here is a 1941 reprint of your 1940 edition of the 1939 Norton 16H contract C5109 book complete with corrected typo.

Rob

I have the V.A.O.S LV7 List for Contract V3565 but it appears to be different to that noted above as follows.

it is for 'Norton Motor Cycles Combination to Contract V. 3565 and is dated 1940'

There are also supplementary sheets for the rifle carrying and bren carrying versions dated 27 November 1939 and further supplementary sheets for vehicle tools and equipment dated revised 13 December 1939.

AS a point of interest it states a Bulb Horn is fitted for Egypt and Malta when no electric horn is fitted.

The Wesco oil can is listed as is the Jack with handle which have been recent topics on the Forum.

Rob, thanks for adding the reprint for C5109. I believe that you passed that one on to me, but I haven't scanned it...

Keith, It makes sense that there was an earlier original list for V3565. Would there be any chance of scanning it ?

I was going to come on to the lists of Tools and Equipment...Again I'm keen to see and compare with the few 16H lists that I have, they are much less common than the VAOS LV7 lists.

Feel free to e-mail me.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Rik - Sadly my computer skills are that of Neanderthal man so scanning is not something I can do. Instead I will send you my e.mail address and if you send me your home address I will photocopy the details and post them to you. The good news is I have a quality photocopier.

Rik, in the case of BSAs it appears that the proprietary list is incorporated into the spares list from contract C9310 on, contract C7287 has a brief list of major components but there probably was a separate proprietary list?

And its interesting that you have a 16H proprietary list from contract A9764 which may indicate that they also existed for KM20s from around the same era.

Does anyone have any?

Rob

keith chandler
Rik - Sadly my computer skills are that of Neanderthal man so scanning is not something I can do. Instead I will send you my e.mail address and if you send me your home address I will photocopy the details and post them to you. The good news is I have a quality photocopier.
Keith, I've replied, thank you.

To be honest, a modern scanner is quicker and easier than most older photocopiers (and jams less !)

This Triumph 5SW parts list also has the list of proprietary equipment,its held on by three staples on the inside cover and is dated 1940.

Below is the cover of the list.

Below one of the pages,there are over 30 pages in the list,shown the regulator box page which is dated March 1940,some of the other pages have different months on them.

Rob, that is a good call on the later lists...I hadn't thought about them as I don't actively collect post-1940. I do however have the late-war unillustrated lisst for S.2602 (Cat. Ref. 37). It has no tools listed whatsoever but the Amal and Lucas parts have indeed been incorporated into the main printed text which probably explains why they disappeared.

A.9764 is one that we copied at the VMCC. It is the older 'composite' sort of listing with pages dating from March 1938 to April 1939.

It looks to me as if these were included with the fitter's copies of the lists, and probably not with each individual machine and I would say that they must have existed for every contract from at least 1936 up to and including 1940.

I assume by the way that bundles of these lists must have been sold off either with the post-war auctions or offered separately through the trade as although they're quite scarce now, they're far too common to simply be the occasional souvenir of a demobbed serviceman. I've seen the odd one with dealer stamps too.

I hope that this thread wil bring a few more out of the woodwork.

Thanks, Steve. They do indeed seem to have stocked individual pages and then collated as necessary for each model.

LU/390713 is the same number as used for the Norton MCR1/L12 at this period and would be the Lead-Acid clip-fixing type. I have this page in a Norton list also dated 1st March 1940 but with a comma in the date so they must have typed multiple stencils from the original.

Rik

Fear ye not - my photocopier is a modern commercial unit I use in my Office - it has scanner facilities - it is just that I do not know how to use that facility and it is a case of old dog new tricks syndrome + being somewhat lazy to learn these things. My photocopier jam - certainly not - it would not dare.

Thanks for your e.mail though I have replied accordingly. A trip to the post office will be my daily exercise tomorrow.

Nieuwe pagina 1