Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DU42 shell with blackout mask

My 3HW was found without a headlamp reflector or blackout mask (nor an ammeter or a switch but already purchased these!)...

20200328-095622-HDR
20200328-095633-HDR

So I bought a NOS reflector and bulb holder

20200328-095556-HDR
20200328-095540

And a 6 1/2" Lucas Maxlite blackout mask (which I know was not used on motorcycles)

20200328-095654-HDR
20200328-095644-HDR

Would like to know what goes between the reflector and the blackout mask (I do have the W clips to secure it). I remember that my DU142 headlamps have a cork washer between the reflectors and the frosted glasses, then a rubber cord between the rim and the glass.

The blackout mask has these three clips attached and can't think of what it is supposed to house, maybe it is different to a motorcycle blackout mask? Can you post a picture of the proper thing?

Furthermore how does the blackout mask secure on the headlamp shell? Only from the bottom clip? Isn't there anything on the upper part just like the glass rim? Is there a picture for this detail?

I know that my mask will need modifications on the lower area where the clip is supposed to house, as it now has a slot for the earlier (?) rim clip with bolt... Will have to fill the slot and drill a hole!

Many thanks,

Kostas

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: DU42 shell with blackout mask

Anyone? :face_with_rolling_eyes:

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Hi Kostas,
I have used the same blackout mask on my M20, having compared it to an original mask I have on my Matchless the one you have is exactly the same except the original WD mask did not have the riveted badge on the front. I have removed it and filled the recess. The reflector just has a cork strip around the outside as a seal and the top of the blackout mask does just clip over the small ridge at the top front of the shell. I have found that the correct clip you have will cover the slot in the bottom of the shell without having to fill that and drill a hole, depending of course on how original you need it to look. I do not know what the three small brackets are for around the inside of the mask but they are not needed to fit this all together.
Hope this helps.
Mike

email (option): m.gurr@yahoo.com

Kostas you are contemplating fitting a civilian car BO mask to your bike......I thought better of you:innocent: Ron

ooops! Typing together Mike! Just taking the piss out of Kostas when you popped up with the same idea!!

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thank you very much Michael, that makes it clearer!

Ron Pier
Kostas you are contemplating fitting a civilian car BO mask to your bike......I thought better of you:innocent: Ron

ooops! Typing together Mike! Just taking the piss out of Kostas when you popped up with the same idea!!
Ron,

It's just a temporary solution!

😜

Kostas

Kostas, here is an old inside shot that might be of use?

This is held by clipping over the dimple at the top of the shell and the clip in the round hole exactly as a normal rim of the type.

The glass holder is one I made to replace the rusted out original so might be a little 'off' so don't take that as 100%.

Ray

Ray
Kostas, here is an old inside shot that might be of use?

This is held by clipping over the dimple at the top of the shell and the clip in the round hole exactly as a normal rim of the type.

The glass holder is one I made to replace the rusted out original so might be a little \'off\' so don\'t take that as 100%.

Ray
Roy,

Well... Thank you very much for posting this picture!

Kostas

Nieuwe pagina 1