Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Guide for solving oil leaks on British motorcycles.

Hi Henk, could you copy it and post it here for us ?
Regards Gary

I see you only have Volume 1 which deals with solving engine leaks. Volume 2 deals with solving leaks from chain cases as does Volumes 3, 4 and 5.

I haven't seen that one before...I have the excellent '135,000 reasons why it makes sense to own a BSA' which, coincidentally is a similar size....:older_man: ...Ian:relaxed:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes I'll copy it soon and post it here but I first have to solve my oil leaks.

Henk:face_with_rolling_eyes:

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

You are confused. That photo is not showing the oil leak guide book; it is actually the BSA M20 spill kit!

More likely the list of Matchless component variations, modifications and serviceability changes 1941-42...Ian:yum:

I was told by a Norton man many years ago that the best way to stop oil leaking from the primary chaincase was to pour melted candle wax into the chaincase and after allowing this to cool to then put the oil in. This apparently works fine until you hit the chaincase cover during a bit of off road work and the oil drips out.

I always knew when there was no oil in the chaincase of my Norton - there were no drips of oil under it!

I was advised to melt some tallow and pour it in through the inspection hole...Again, top up the oil once the tallow has cooled and gone solid...It worked OK but was messy when the chain case was removed...I should think 'Linklife' would work just as well...Ian

I simply put quite some grease on both sides of the cork before assembly, the grease will keep the oil in.

Works fine for me and easy removed when needed and no meshing with silicon or other stuff.

My WDG3L chaincase does have oil and amazingly does not leak! Many years ago, I fitted the "T" section rubber gasket mod in place of the original round one and backed that up by careful attention to the spacer for the through-bolt, which I understand is where most of the problem originates for the AMC tin chaincase........the spacer gets left out, or is the wrong one, and the case distorts.

Nieuwe pagina 1