Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carb slide rattle ?

Has anyone come across a rattle/clicking noise coming from their carb slide when running due to the suction stroke of the engine.
I saw a video of a bmw that sounded like tappet noise but it was down to the slide flapping about in the carb body. 2 videos here. Is this something encountered on the 276 carb?
Richard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwNG60XEdpI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2qIufdZWVC93yyMiMYwCJkzeJwwl-4SyU9i4DdChYHradGsdFQY-ZQSMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwNG60XEdpI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2qIufdZWVC93yyMiMYwCJkzeJwwl-4SyU9i4DdChYHradGsdFQY-ZQSMI

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: Carb slide rattle ?

That slide is well worn, not something I've noticed before but now I'll look out for it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I've come across this numerous times over the years...
The carb will still work OK in most cases but due to air leakage past the slide the settings will probably need to be altered to restore the correct fuel to air ratio...

So, more fuel to compensate for the extra air...
That obviously increases fuel consumption with no benefit, so with a side valve like the M20, the relatively poor fuel consumption will be even worse!!:laughing: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have a tapping noise that developed last year which I am still to investigate. I have checked valve chest and it doesnt seem to be coming from there. The bike has wet sumped at the moment so need time to get that sorted and get her going to check out the carb slide idea ?

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

I used to scramble a BSA/CCM bored and stroked to something like 608cc the Amal carb was well worn and on the over run the slide used to really rattle so much that it would break the front edge off the slide and you would hear the bits rattle through the engine .The cure a new carb it made quite an improvement to the performance ,sad to say I went for a Mikuni though solid brass slide .

Nieuwe pagina 1