Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: kick start problem ?

The cush drive spring should be 1 5/8" long when new...Personally I take remedial action if the cams move more than 1/3 of their total lift when the engine is being turned over slowly using the kick start. You should find the engine will come onto compression, the cam will operate slightly and then the spring pressure will exceed the compression pressure and the engine will turn over through compression........Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The simple thing to do is to pull off the primary cover and watch what is happening by prefference with some one else doing the kicking
The method I use for adjusting latter model clutches ( not single spring ) is to put the front wheel against a brick wall, engage first gear , remove the spark plug lead so the engine can not start then give it a kick.
Naturally you should not be able to do this if you can then the clutch is slipping.
Or on a preunit bike the clutch or the cush drive is slipping.

If you are by yourself, a slipping clutch will be quietish, just making a whooshing sound and be sort of smooth
A slipping cush drive with go thump , thump as the lodes slide over each other and will be lumpy.

If the lobes are jumping over each other then the cush drive requires replacing.
The sprocket gets replaced regularly but the retainer does not so cumulative wear makes the lobes flat .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

The cover is off and i have tried to see what is happening but it is very intermittent

I will have a closer look to see if i can see any wear ect on the cush drive , i have checked the nut and it is tight

Ray if it's the clutch that is slipping, then the primary chain won't be turning. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1