Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WDM20 oil lines

Can any of the perfectionist on the WD M20 advise what they originally had for oil lines between tank and engine. Mine has flexible lines with crimped fitting both ends that screw onto threads with flared sealing. My oil lines are quite old and I am thinking maybe I should replace them. I have seen on post war models they had steel pipes with a short rubber connector. Thanks.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Re: WDM20 oil lines

Pre-war and early war BSA used full rubber oil lines while the later war BSA's had copper pipes with rubber connectors. The brass ferrules are not original.

Henk.

Oil-lines-early-war
Oil-lines-late-war

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks for the info Henk, my next question would be any one making these oil lines to original, as I don't have the ferrels or the tool to crimp them.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

These ferrules don't need any crimping at all, the correct size rubber and copper tube makes a good tight fit.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I have copper pipes and I replaced the rubber with plastic long ago.
So even while riding I can see the oil pass trough.

But then, I am no purist.....:fearful:

I prefer to look where I'm going when I'm motor-cycling. Does that make me a purist ? :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Thirty years ago I got some stainless steel braided teflon lined oil lines made up with slip joints at either end so so they are a doddle to remove & replace.
Only place the bike does not leak.
Against the allow the now quite dull braid is invisible.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks and been closely following this post
What will be the measurements

(1) Outer Thickness of the copper pipe (Is it 5/16?)
(2) Inner Thickness or Diameter of the pipe
(3) Thickness of the rubber tube
(4) Size of Ferrules

William

I bought NOS oil pipes from Russell Motors years ago and the rubber connectors were fitted with a brass ferrule at one end and a pipe clamp at the other...I've come across this type many times...So, as usual, there seems to be more than one answer!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Stuart Bray has some NOS pipes for sale on his website

But at £90!😃

Nieuwe pagina 1