Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lipped crank bearing

i have an inner drive side crank roller bearing with lip on the bearing cage for the M20, which way should the lip face? and whats its purpose

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Re: lipped crank bearing

If your cushion drive nut comes loose it stops your crank from moving over and chewing up your timing side.

Could be wrong, but I assumed it was to reduce the chance of excessive (any) axial load on the rollers; possible if the bearing spacer gets worn.

cheers
Pete

open side towards the crankshaft, otherwise how would you get the crank in with rollers attached? :wink:

email (option): petercomley@web.de

On the M-types I can see no other function of the lips then preventing the outerrings from creeping out of the crankcase.

I guess it is a heritage from earlier models where the crank was not pulled up to a ballbearing but the lips were used to position the crank axially.

On the driveside the lip can actually lock up the crank if the 1" spacer is worn [like most of them] and the rollers are pushed hard up against the lip when the nut is fastened.

On the B-series where there is only a rollerbearing on the timingside it indeed prevents the bearing from creeping to the case. In the M-type the ballbearing prevents this.

I would say no need for lipped outerrings on the M20 unless your worried about creeping them out of the case.

BR Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1