WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Considering my first ww2 bike Norton 16h or

Hi Tom,

Here's a girder Norton for sale;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-Big-4-600cc-Side-valve/293369281099?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's not mine......

Cheers,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman at g mail dot com

Stop it Sven! That's not military! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It is also somewhat of a dog's breakfast - keep looking would be my advice.

As a matter of interest I ran my SWD Big 4 as a solo for some years - took out the trials ratios and put in standard ratios, upped the engine sprocket to 22 teeth I think or it may have been 21 teeth with a 43 tooth rear wheel sprocket that strangely was one which had carried the live axle. Cruised easily at 60mph but did require some paddling if starting off on a steep hill. Top speed unknown as I had to take the 80mph speedo off for fear of breaking it.

A 1941 Norton 16H is listed for sale by PEMBROKESHIRE CLASSICS only one photo it looks OK but I know little about the finer points of these bikes, worth a look.

email (option): strongperry@sky.com

Hi Mike been in touch with Pembrokeshire its fitted with a 1946 engine. Does look ok though. Ideally I'd like to get one from another owner as Barry, Ferg an Ron have said be good to chat to the person I'm getting it from who's owned it before.

Not ruling dealers out though if the correct bike comes up at one.

Thanks for the heads up though :)

Tom

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Well I got hold of another correct AG4 mag which has been rebuilt, I’ve fitted it and set the timing. I also fitted the Norton carb with the 206R jet block to se what’s it’s like and to be honest the engine starts and runs very well, also there’s no fuel spitting out, please note, I Havant cut or drilled the carb body. Air mixture adjustment is also working.
The only thing ive got to try and do is to stop the mag from slipping forward? I think the way Norton mags are mounted is a crap idea,

Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Barry Fuller
Well I got hold of another correct AG4 mag which has been rebuilt, I’ve fitted it and set the timing. I also fitted the Norton carb with the 206R jet block to se what’s it’s like and to be honest the engine starts and runs very well, also there’s no fuel spitting out, please note, I Havant cut or drilled the carb body. Air mixture adjustment is also working.
The only thing ive got to try and do is to stop the mag from slipping forward? I think the way Norton mags are mounted is a crap idea,

Barry
Sorry I’ve put this on the wrong post

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Forgot to ask.......tried a Want Ad on the Norton OC (or similar) web site? Thats how I found my WDG3L and other stuff (via AMOC). Amazing what the old boys have squirreled away (of course, WE, are not old boys!). Via that, I was put in touch with Jack Dienst (ex-DR and self published irreverent author!) who lived locally......alas he had just sold the last of his bikes, a 16h, his favourite as it happens, but I got lots of advice and a NOS helmet.

Hi Ferg thanks for the reply again :) yeah got one up on the noc and just paid to put one on milweb as well so we shall see what turns up thinking of going along to Stoneleigh in February as well.

Haha yeah I got my 650ss like that from the original owner who had owned her since 1967 which was amazing still in touch with him as well from when I got it when I was 22 just turned 30.

Always great to meet people like that, said to dad things always seem to turn up when you least expect it sure the right bike is just round the corner.

Had a brilliant day today.

Got to sit on a Wd 16H today and look at all the dispatch riders gear thanks to a friendly owner who invited me over to have a look at his got me even more excited now as I know I fit on one even though I'm tall! Very humbling as well thinking about what the bike may have been through!

Really can't wait to get one of my own an start cranking the miles on.

Learnt an endless amount today about the details to look for always amazes me just how brilliant the bike community is

Was amazing as his dad had served in Egypt an so did my Grandpa who was in the 8th army. Who's the main reason I'm hunting for one miss him alot.

Thanks again mate very much appreciated.

110% convinced the 16h is the right one for me out of all the wd marques look forward to getting along to all the events an rallies when one turns up.

Nieuwe pagina 1