Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
RE: camshaft trouble

Just to draw this thread to a close, I had a chat with Steve Surbey this morning. He confirmed my suspicion that the key and slot were later deleted as AMC decided they were not needed. As I said before the cam is a very tight fit on the shaft,so the interference fit needs only to drive the mag.
The engine is now in bits ready to assess, I can't believe what some people think is acceptable in building an engine,the big end eye is about 8 thou larger in diameter with a perfect lapped surface.The crankpin is absolutely shot,large area of bearing track have disappeared... There is also a bent and cracked tooth in the oil pump shaft. It would have soon gone bang.

RE: camshaft trouble

['I can't believe what some people think is acceptable in building an engine'...']

After nearly 50years with British bikes and having run a business rebuilding engines etc. for 18 of those I ceased to be surprised by what I came across a number of decades back...

I guess it's the result of the fact the hobby is made up of enthusiastic amateurs with varying skill and knowledge levels, people who won't or can't afford to spend the money on what's needed, both amateur and professional shysters who don't have a conscience at all as long as they make a sale and a sizeable group who are none of the above and do it pretty well generally.

Also, workshops that vary from nearly tool room standard to gloomy 'holes in the wall' and equipped to varying degrees depending on whether the owner regards tools as a necessity to complete a job well or an unfortunate overhead that, if possible, is best avoided... A complete cross section of society in fact!!...Ian:laughing:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1