Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canadian DR in Italy (Norton).

Re: Canadian DR in Italy (Norton).

Two unusual things about this bike, I think the pillion seat may have a canvas cover, or it could be dusty roads and dust has settled on the seat, also a leather bag has been attached to the pannier rack.

Steve S.
Two unusual things about this bike, I think the pillion seat may have a canvas cover, or it could be dusty roads and dust has settled on the seat, also a leather bag has been attached to the pannier rack.
I saw a khaki canvas pillion seat cover on an ex WW2 motorcycle many years ago so they did exist.

On another point I have a pair of WW2 Norton petrol tank rubber knee grips not in the usual black but in a khaki colour - not painted over - khaki colour seems to go through the whole of the knee grip.

And for now I have some original WW2 canvas handlebar grips - some with brass ends which seem the most common but others with a steel end which came off a SWD Norton Big 4.

I'm glad that's been noted! Years ago I had new saddle covers made for my 3HW in canvas. It was to "ring the changes" as was the desert paint scheme.

We know that 'Wrights' made a canvas covered motorcycle saddle, predominately for use as an artillery gun layers seat.

These covers are so nicely made that I've been extremely reluctant to change them, especially as the guy who did such a superb job, doesn't seem to be available any more.:slightly_frowning_face: Ron

3HW-241

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this picture!
The riders’ gaiters are visible here, just above the toolbox

Cheers,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Your eyes are better than mine Sven! All I can see is a leather or canvas bag? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

And a screwdriver? tucked into his sock

I agree with Sven. Web anklets with leather straps there.

Although the canvas covered pillions for part of Norton contract C10217 and contract C11082 are documented, we have no substantiation for any rider saddle or other contract pillions...nor an explanation but the early part of C10217 was fitted with the full Dunlopillo pillions and presumably at the point where they decided to change to steel sprung pillions, there was no supply of 'Rexine' available.

This machine will be C4581811...frame number W43683 delivered late-1941. The Ministry of Supply records are annotated to the effect that a total extra cost of £50 was accepted for "Fitment of canvas on pillion seat" to 4000 of the 5000 machines (at 3d extra per seat !).

Chinagraph pencil in the hose top, I think, as opposed to in the goggle band.

1941-C4586800-C10217-2

Nieuwe pagina 1