Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some gearbox woes

Good evening all,
I hope you may be able to advise me regarding mainshaft endfloat please.
I stripped the gearbox down (it was really noisy when I bought the bike) only to find that it appears to have suffered some major trauma!

The inner race of the mainshaft bearing at the kickstart end had shattered and was in about four pieces. Additionally, the lip on the inner side of the inner cover, where the small washer sits had a crack around it.
I had to remove the cracked section before it fell out. It appears that at some point in time, the gearbox has been assembled incorrectly, I suspect with the small spacer and then a thrust washer the wrong way round, the inner cover taking the brunt of clamping against them.

CA2-CDF5-E-E968-4039-8295-E363293-CD542

upload image

I milled the face flat but the damage became more apparent.

CC20-C92-A-AB3-E-4269-AF1-A-7-A8-F1-FC77-C27

upload image

Thankfully, the bottom of the bearing recess where the bearing sits is fine. So, now I’m left with a bigger diameter hole where the thrust washer would normally run up against. , my plan is to manufacture a special spacer / thrust washer that fits between the face of first gear and the inner race of the bearing. I can machine it to a thickness which will provide the correct endfloat.
That’s the first bit, does that seem like a plan?

Part number two - I’m struggling to understand what controls the endfloat of the mainshaft or should there be none?

If I give the mainshaft a shove from the sprocket end, then from the kickstart end I have approximately 1/8” movement. At first, I thought the mainshaft endfloat may have been limited by the kickstart ratchet assembly, now I’m thinking it’s controlled at the other end once the clutch is fitted? If that’s the case, im struggling to comprehend unlessI I’ve got some other bits missing!

As always, any help appreciated.

Gino.

email (option): gino_kerekes@yahoooo.co.uk

Re: Some gearbox woes

Hi Gino
I have sent you a mail with some information that I have scratched together from the technical section of this forum(thanks Ian, Hans and many others!) and postings etc. Hopefully this will include some helpful stuff.

If the mail doesn't get through, let me know and I'll try again.

Cheers

Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Thank you Pete,

I have your mail!

Best wishes,

Gino.

After you've read Pete's info. post again if you still have questions...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Wouldnt it be easier to find another cover altogether ?

Thanks Ian.

It did cross my mind Mike, apart from the obvious damage the rest of the cover is in pretty good condition, my worry is that the replacement bought on line may be lacking in other areas. Now I understand how it functions I’m sure I can make It work.
That being said, if I were to see one at an auto jumble (or a complete box for that matter), I’d most probably snap it up!!

Thanks again,

Gino.

Nieuwe pagina 1