Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch issue

I have a 43 M20 that I bought that the previous owner started having a problem where you can't put the bike in gear when it is running. I haven't gotten into it but I'm hoping to this winter. There is tension on the clutch lever and pulls in normally so I don't believe the cable is broken. I'm looking for some advice on how I should troubleshoot this issue. Steve

email (option): pswebster1@netzero.net

Re: Clutch issue

OK going back to basics. I assume you can kick start the engine? What happens when you try to kick start the engine with the clutch lever pulled in?
Nothing should happen other than the kick starter slips the clutch. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It sounds like the clutch plates might be stuck together...I suspect that might be the thought behind Rons line of questioning....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

So I understand what you are saying. I should put it in gear, pull the clutch in and I should be able to kick the bike over without any trouble. If I can't, the clutch plates might be stuck together.

I just did a little experiment. I kicked the bike over in neutral without the clutch lever pulled in. Engine turned over with good compression and rear wheel didn't move. I put the bike in gear and kicked it over without the clutch lever pulled in. The engine turned over and the rear wheel turned with it. I pulled the clutch in with the bike in gear and it felt like the engine wasn't turning (no compression resistance) and the rear wheel turned. I would expect that the engine would turn over and the rear wheel wouldn't turn. That doesn't appear to be what's happening. I'm open for advice on what might be happening with this new information I just provided.

You don't need to put it in gear. If you pull the clutch lever in and operate the kick start, there should be next to no resistance, as the clutch should slip, disengaging the gearbox from the engine. Sometimes if a vehicle is left standing for a long period, the clutch plates can become gummed up and glued together. Since you don't appear to be familiar with the concept, it's best you start at basics and follow the advice given so that we can diagnose and then suggest the next phase. Ron

I apologize for misunderstanding your initial guidance. I kicked the bike over in neutral with the clutch out and it turned the engine over (I could feel the compression). When I pulled in the clutch, I felt resistance from the engine until about 1/4 of the way through the kick, then it moved freely. In keeping the clutch in the following kicks were all free. Once I let the clutch out, there was resistance 1/4 the way through the kick and then it moved freely. It feels like the clutch is sticking 1/4 of the way through the kick when the clutch is pulled and turns freely after that until I release the clutch lever. Then it does it again. Not sure if that is a symptom of sticking clutch plates or not. Would that explain why I can't get it into gear with the engine running?

Have you followed the exact clutch adjustment procedure from the workshop manual? It's very important! Also as you say, the drag will often cause the rear wheel to turn with the bike on the rear stand and engine running. I often find that after a bike has been stood for a while you can't engage first gear without a crunch, so I engage second gear in the first instance then into first gear.

Other than the clutch plates sticking together, which could be the cause, it might be that someone has put a new set of after market friction plate in, which are often thicker than the standard plates, which will then reduce the separation room of the plates in the basket. Even with standard thickness plates I always leave out one friction and one steel plate from the stack, which give a lighter clutch and more room for the plates to separate. (both my M20's are 600cc and no slipping or drag)

Another issue that is often overlooked is the correct handlebar lever, there are different distances from the pivot to nipple which will alter the pull at the clutch.

So in the first instance, make sure the clutch is adjusted by the book (I assume you have a manual) and measure the center of the pivot screw to the center of the cable nipple.

Eventually stripping the clutch for inspection might be required, but they're awkward clutches which is best performed with the aid of some special tools.

I'm in Poole if you happen to be nearby as sometimes a glance is easier than trying to explain it in words!! Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1