Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
16h valves

Hi I recently bought a 16h engine ive taken it apart and noticed one of valves had a collet missing once i had taken the valves out i measured them and found them to be 1/4"shorter than standed not sure what to do this is the first norton ive worked on .can you help cheers

email (option): Beezer.ap@gmail.com

Re: 16h valves

The 16H was in the range for so many tears that there are inevitably many variations. What year is your engine ?

I do know that the collet locating grooves were positioned differently between the 1936 (and WD) pattern and the 1938 type but overall length was the same...the possibility of Big 4 tappets and maybe modifications to suit should also not be discounted.

Pattern valves for the WD16H were available from a number of sources through the 1950s and 1960s, both in the UK and overseas and quality is an unknown and variable.

To be honest, I wouldn't mess around with older valves. Modern top-quality valves with plasma-coated stems are available new from G&S valves (or via Russell Motors). They are a vast improvement in fit and surface finish which is important in grease lubricated iron guides.

http://www.gsvalves.co.uk/assets/vintage-motor-cycle-catalogue.pdf

Post a photo of the engine and the valve with measurements though and maybe we can compare and find out what's what.

Thanks for you reply i will send measurements and photo soon as i get to workshop cheers

Good luck with the valve stem to guide clearances and the valve timing...Both must have been classed as military secrets as there are no timing marks on the cams and the stem clearances aren't quoted in Norton publications...or at least I couldn't find them..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, a little more information has come to light since we last spoke about this, but it remains a puzzle that it's so hard to find !

Clearances

Hi ive just cleaned carbon of valves only to see HD made in USA now im really confused did they make them in the states or has someone put harley valves in. Im trying to find how to attache photo will send if i can findhow

I don't know how to recognise Harley valves, but I can't think of any reason why valves for Norton side-valves would ever have been made in the USA. The fact that the stem length is incorrect suggests that they're not original.

The easiest way to post photos is to use something like this :- https://imgbb.com/

Nieuwe pagina 1