The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Auction tomorrow (23rd)

Hello all,

Maybe if interest?

HJ Pugh are having an auction tomorrow which includes lots of British spares and some bikes. I noticed an M20 gearbox and a WD Norton amongst other things.
Gino.

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/2271212dd36cd51493e89a485e6cfe58/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/140-motorcycles-classic-cars-british-and-italian-spares-l/

Re: Auction tomorrow (23rd)

I have never seen a 1936 WD16H with panniers!
Its amazing what nonsense even auction houses can put up for sales text.
They apparently don't really care about what they are selling.

Frame number is added by an enthusiast.
There is no record of any frame/engine number between W50.000 and W60.000!
Engine number must be W93001 as the prewar 93001 was a Big 4 engine which this definitly is not.

Giving numbers without prefix is also not very correct unless it really is without one.

cheers,

Rob

It just went for 6200 pounds

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Indeed Rob, the auctioneers do next to no research beyond looking at Wikipedia these days. The 'Buyer's Premium' was said when it was introduced that it covered a guarantee that the item was as described and fit for purpose. Nonsense of course as they abdicate all responsibility and blame it on the seller !

Clearly a post-1940 WD frame as it has both pillion and field stand lugs. Many replacement WD frames were put into service without the 'W' prefix being re-stamped but as you say, in this case we have the mystery of W50000 - W59999 which appear to have been reserved for the standardised WD motorcycle and never used...Maybe they're reading the factory build number on the headstock lug ?

Whatever, £6200 plus Buyer's premium for a machine that I'd regard as a rebuild project is niet niks !

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/4cda231dc09cd457278f46e02f283bcf/1f1638c9faeb7c2641b7b1e9c67628d0/140-motorcycles-classic-cars-british-and-italian-spar-lot-628/

Here is a picture of the contract plate off the Pugh auction bike,the handle bars are also 7/8 inch,also the head light switch has TEST on it,which was usually fitted under the saddle so could be 1945???

That bike sold at the Malvern military fair a couple of years back...Prices for WD bikes are still on the up...Check the bidding on the M20 currently on ebay...That doesn't look to be a particularly good bike either but the bidding is on the way up....
I concluded a while back that many of us need to re assess what you can be bought for a given amount of money as examples of WD bikes seem to regularly exceed expectations...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Steve,

Would you have a picture of the frame number?
The engine is as expected W93001, late 44 / early 45!
7/8th handlebar is fitting to contract S5161.

Overall it's not a bad collection of parts. Could even be fairly original S5161 bike actually, there is also no steering damper.
Pity about the frame number. Change the horn for Altette and the post war domed headlamp lens for a black-out and nobody can say its wrong.
It may have had the symplified elctric system with switch under saddle but we do not have proof for that.

cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

No haven't got a photo of the frame number, took a couple of the contract plate.

This bike was for sale at Yoemans about two years ago, when it was there I did look at the frame and engine numbers, as far as I can remember I think they were matching, but can't say 100% for sure as it was about two years ago.

Its back on sale again ebay item no 362867757384

Thanks for posting it Steve an Rom That explains why they havnt been getting back to me been asking over the frame numbers for a couple of weeks.

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Over here in Australia most Auction houses drain the oil and petrol from motorcycles as a condition of the Auction houses insurance. So you cannot start them and don't know what you are buying. A lot of motorbikes over the years have come out of museums where they have been cosmetically restored but sometimes missing conrods, pistons, magneto internals, gear box internals.If you don't check them for compression etc you can get caught out. The auction houses have been caught out for telling the sellers story on the actual history of the motorcycle which is often a load of bull,so they now include a clause similar to, the intending buyer is to make their own inquiries into the history of the motorcycle. I saw a Bsa sloper for sale some years ago that was said to be original barn find off a pear orchard, only problem was it had Yamaha wheel rims amongst other things.

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1