Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
more dynamo woes .

more dynamo woes .
I have another E3h dynamo to work on. I have carried out all the continuity tests on the armature and coil and both seem fine..
With the thing assembled, field coil resistance is showing 3.7ohms.
But I cant even get it to motor up when 6v battery applied ?? or to show any voltage output when spun with a drill ??
Brushes seem fine with plenty of meat on them..
Is there something I am missing here ? Any other tests I can carry out?
Richard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: more dynamo woes .

I had similar issues with my '43 M20 dynamo, also a E3HM. I tried everything. After passing all my tests, except for the ability to generate 6v+ DC, I sent the armature to White Armature in Wisconsin US. They rewound it, balanced and trued the commutator on a lathe. Two armatures cost me about $100 US, and about 3 weeks wait time. Runs fine now, and I use an electronic regulator.

The technician, who works often on Harley Davidson generators, said the most common armature problem is the commutator is not machined true with the armature core and axles. The brushes don't maintain contact, and the assembly works intermittently, at best.

Good luck with your project.

Dave. W.

email (option): dwdiak4@gmail.com

Richard I did all the tests you did with similar results on the dynamo of my 5SW, although mine did motor, but nothing when I spun it. I phoned up Paul in Shaftsbury for some advice. He said straight off, "Your armature is knackered" I said "Yeah But, No But".... He said "NO BUTS! It's your armature! So I bought a new one off him for 65 Quid and it all works fine now.

The truth is, we haven't got the the required full equipment for testing ie 'growler' and such. Ron

A.P.L Magnetos
19 Lane Side
Shaftsbury
SP7 8DY

Tel: 01747 852136
Mob: 07860828546

Magneto reconditioning

Dynamos

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I flashed the field to get some magnetism back into it and it did spin up but quite slowly. I will try some new brushes that I have coming, if its still poor it will have to be a new armature¬

Or go "alternator"...
http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1391644&cmd=show

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

New armature it is then! Just as a check/confirm, I need a 200304 armature and it will fit in the E3HAC33-0 body I have ?? (I found out I had a 200303 armature in the one I have - with wrong drive end).
Richard.

anyone?

I got one for a 16H from Dave Lindsley

email (option): jeremy@clogmaker.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1