Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum picture

Little pudgy fingers poked into the magazine housing of a Sten. What could possibly go wrong ? :grinning:

Ariel-C5491981-Liedekerke

The crates behind display the 'supplies' stencil.

Markings-Coloured-2

Ian,

That's a really interesting point about the cylinders. I know that the Matchless v-twins 1930-38 had an internal oil line to the base of the cylinders, and that Indians had an extra oil nozzle outside the cylinders in the early days, to augment the splash system. J.A.P. engines also tended to favor an extra oil line from the Pilgrim pump to the cylinder base. Indian in the 20s and 30s created their crankcase castings such that the connecting rods passed through a small opening, and the remaining 'blanked off' part had holes in it, usually 6 of about 3/8 diameter. The theory was that the oil vapor would be sucked up the cylinders more readily than with an open hole. It seemed to satisfy Indian.

Manufacturers found that with a single the regular suction created by a single ascending piston would assure adequate lubrication. Now, if you have a v-twin that suction would be upset, wouldn't it? Two pistons at different places in their cycle would disrupt this method of oiling. With a parallel twin one wouldn't have this problem, I think.

Or am I way off with this?

Perhaps that BSA E15 had this problem?

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Rik, there's no magazine in the Sten, so theoretically only one shot, but the owner will have checked it I guess.

Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi🤯🤯.net

Indeed Lex and her fingers are probably too short to reach anything, but small hands inserted into anything with springs and latches all too often ends in tears !

Here the names of the children sitting on and around that motorcycle

Willy Van Droogenbroeck, Adolf Van den Brande, Herman De Neys en Adolf Heymans. Vooraan: Magda Van den Brande, Irène Guldemont, Hedwig Van den Brande en Agnes Heymans.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

What a fantastic picture 😃 funny how the boys all get to sit on the bike

Nieuwe pagina 1