The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Engine number

Thanks Jan,
The thread has already been a great help to me.
It appears to me there are basically a couple of reasons how this engine ended up in my bike.

As mentioned in an earlier post, maybe after the war ended a surplus WM engine was restamped for use in a civvy bike.

Or, maybe at some point in time, the original engine was damaged and a WM engine was put in the frame and stamped with the original number.

Anyway, it’s part of the bike now, target for back on the road is before Christmas!!
Thanks,
Gino.

Ps, I also found this under the paint on the top tube.
F782-EC78-8770-481-E-B941-A6-F274584925

upload images

If that is an original stamping, and I doubt it is, way too neat & regular the it is machine 4534, nowhere near the end of the war

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Gino
Hello All,

Don’t know if this has any relevance, another stamp not too far away from the other.
https://ibb.co/FHMf0tz

Thanks,
Gino.
BSA engines are literally littered with stampings.
Ones with a broad arrow were done by governement inspectiors.
All the others are normal identity or fit marks done at the factory so that parts which were machined as an assembly can be reunited for final assembly.
The other thing is parts were subjected to testing with a series of go / no-go gauges and in many cases would get a stamp according to which gauge fitted best then when assembled, the assemblers could pick parts that were the best fit with each other.
You will find them all over the inside of the engine.
And then there were date stamps.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Gino, that looks remarkably like weathered Khaki Green No.3 on your top tube...Have we seen a photo of the whole machine and of the frame number ? Is that an original stamping ?

In my experience of ex-WD bikes, it's not that unusual for owners in the 1950s or so to have replaced a damaged / bashed / blown up bike or major component with cheap old ex-WD stock and then simply transferred over the number from their logbook...far less trouble and expense but a puzzle for us, sixty years down the line...

Think that is a telescopic front frame, BR Michiel

Here in the US I've seen many re-stamped frames and engines but I sincerely doubt the motivation was as innocent as Rik describes.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

It's a mystery!
It does look like faded green in the photo, I'll take a proper look in the daylight to confirm. There is also some light blue in their!
Thanks for all your input & comments,
G.

email (option): gino_kerekes@yahooooo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1