Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA C10s with brass plate "Presented by BSA Cycles LTD"

I'm not sure if I have asked this here before, but if I did I can't remember the answer and it must have dropped off the end of the forum by now.

I have seen two C10s with these brass plates on them, one used to belong to John Turner in Cornwall, I can't remember where the other one was, does anyone know what it meant?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: BSA C10s with brass plate "Presented by BSA Cycles LTD"

Could it refer to machines used by the old RAC or ACU motorcycle training schemes? For civilian use this is. There was a very large one at Crystal Palace for instance, with a big area of 'roads' marked out with junctions, crossings and all sorts of hazards. I think there was one in Birmingham too. Getting learners on your brand of machine would be a good way to inspire brand loyalty!
REgards, Mark

Don Staples-Harris (MVT Solent Area) had one (could be the one John Turner bought?) Don told me that it was presented to the Isle of Wight Home Guard. But I don't know where he got that information from? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That's an interesting story Ron, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Johns C10 was done up in military markings but may not have been military at all originally? I can't remember if it was a K or a W?

There is some evidence that some C10s that were military were later in the war passed on to other government organisations such as the GPO, maybe BSA took them back to the factory for a rebuild first and that's when these plates date from, but "presented" sounds like it was done free?

Rob

I struggled to get a good picture as they were so close together, but here is Johns, does it look like a K or a W?

Rob

DSCF3231

Ah I recognize that bike Rob. I restored it for Lex's friend Tibo. The front end is KC10 but the frame and engine are WC10. The tank that was fitted was for a hand change model and after modification, I used it on my Indian special. I remember the brass plate which is either with Lex or Tibo or still here somewhere? Ron
Tibo-004-1
Indian-S-047
Indian-S-193
Tibo-156

Mark M
Could it refer to machines used by the old RAC or ACU motorcycle training schemes? For civilian use this is. There was a very large one at Crystal Palace for instance, with a big area of 'roads' marked out with junctions, crossings and all sorts of hazards. I think there was one in Birmingham too. Getting learners on your brand of machine would be a good way to inspire brand loyalty!
REgards, Mark
Hi Mark.

Another forum member has sent me a copy of a letter from "The Classic Motorcycle October 1983" which also mentions the RAC/ACU theory, at the time someone on the Isle of Wight had FDL450 frame WC10 474, engine WC10 1858 which had one of these plates on it.

Rob

And C3923319 = WC10 474 so it would appear that this was the same machine.

Interestingly (if you are a rivet counter like me) the BSA factory ledgers show that Frame WC10 474 was delivered to the War Office on 3/8/39 with a matching engine number. But engine WC10 1858 was dispatched to a garage in Sussex stating with an "M" (but I can't read it) in a C10 with frame WC10 2073 on 31/10/39, so I wonder if that machine was impressed by the government or if the engine met the frame after the war?

Rob

Eng 1858 was fitted in frame 2073 and supplied to Marina Motors Ltd. When I restored that bike it had engine WC10 583. Ron
Tibo-016
Tibo-049

Interesting, but I cannot remember any such plate, where was it fitted??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi🤯🤯.net

Well it's a quandary Lex. The plate was fitted to the rear number plate and when I zoom in on various pictures, I can see the holes. Which is a post war number plate. It looks the same on the other picture Rob posted with the same looking 'black' number plate. So I'm guessing it's something that happened after the war?? Ron
Tibo-006

Tibo-010

Nieuwe pagina 1