Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 clutch options

HI every one

A strip down of my clutch revealed the usual problem , rocking on the clutch basket from the top and bottom ( new rollers have been fitted )

I have tried to source replacement parts to no avail to cure this , no one seems to have the parts in stock

Can any one advise which way to go on this ?

email (option): HISTRAY1940@AOL.COM

Re: M20 clutch options

Hello Ray,

You may have to use eBay. Here in the US I see plenty of clutch parts listed on Ebay.com, from an entire replacement unit at $440 (in Austria) to individual parts claimed as NOS, some coming from Malaysia, at around $30 per large piece. I prefer not to use India-made items.

You can also go for a Triumph four spring clutch if you are so inclined.

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Thank you

is there a re machining option ? , perhaps to take a different bearing and there are now new shaft sleeves available

I do not my self wish to use over seas rubbish

A friend of mine recently fitted a brand new English made Pre unit Triumph clutch to his M20. It fits on an adapter sleeve, from memory it came from Burton Bike bits. Works a treat, very light in operation etc. It wasn't expensive either, although I can't remember exactly how much it was.

If you intend to use a Triumph clutch go for the 'non shock absorber' clutch centre....That will save some cash as the shock absorber in the clutch isn't needed for BSA M20 applications...

There are also two possible clutch spring types available...Short heavier gauge ones and longer, lighter ones...The latter were probably for the smaller twins and are the ones to go for...Well up to the low M20 power output and they give a nice light clutch action...

The modified main shaft adaptor will be needed for fitment to pre swinging arm models. These are now readily available but the supplier should be advised of the application so the correct one is supplied...A standard length of 1/4"dia. silver steel will also be required to make a new clutch pushrod to suit the clutch...

Finally, the clutch centre nut, washer and tab washer as used by BSA when Triumph clutches were fitted as standard (later A10s etc.) will also be required...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

How much play is there, anyway, ?
A little bit doesn't harm.

When my clutch needed a rebuild I bought a Triumph 4 spring clutch (kit) from Draganfly instead. It fit straight on and is a marked improvement. Very light and lovely control. I highly recommend it.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

+1 for the Triumph clutch.

Any BSA clutch with a taper on the mainshaft will fit it just takes some work to get the clutch & primary lines up.
They came with a single spring or 6 spring clutch as standard
Latter BSA clutches will fit but your problem is highly be unlikely to be the clutch
It is most likely to be the bushing in the sleeve gear that has work out
Take the clutch off and see if you can move the main shaft up, down , left or right.
People over tighten the primary drive and it rips the bronze bush to pieces.
The other thing that happens is the key slot gets a burr on it which prevents it sitting properly on the taper.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thank you

i have checked every item , the wear to the parts are on the shaft sleeve and the bearing sleeve on the chain wheel

Hi Ray, have a look at the technical page of this website, Ian wrote a detailed description how to remove the 'tilt' of the clutch roller bearing.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/Clutch%20problems.htm

Can be done if you have access to a lathe, Good luck, Michiel

I have looked at this previous and iam sure the wear is to the sprocket track ect but finding a good replacement is another task .

I have been pondering if it is possible to machine the bearing tracks to take another bearing instead of using the rollers .
I do have access to a very good machinist , i may still go for the triumph clutch which at the moment seems likely

If he can grind them true again you can fit bigger rollers.
Now if you are dicplined enough you can grind then true the turn up a leaded gunmetal bush with around 0,0005" working clearance.
This will work fine provided that you change gears quickly and never ever ride the clutch cause after around 30 seconds the gunmetal will expand enough to lock the chainwheel to the center and it won't matter if the clutch is in or out.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

would it be possible to machine it to take a sealed bearing ?

It may be possible...I used an M20 clutch sleeve (modified) and some parts I manufactured to fit a Triumph clutch to my WB30.. No clutch centres were available for the original set up and anyway, I won't fit the original BSA 6 spring clutch to anything as I feel it is a very poor design.....

I used a narrow sealed bearing and that is the place to start...Select what you think is a suitable bearing based around the dimensions of the clutch sleeve...You then work it all out from there!..Once done free movement/rock etc. is eliminated so it's worth the effort...I don't have drawings for the mod. as it was a 'one off' but if you decide to go down that route you can contact me off forum to discuss details...You'll find the first problem as soon as you look at fitting a bearing to the M20 clutch sleeve...
I'm away at a show for the next few days, returning on Monday evening so contact me next week if you need to....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Try to get some slightly bigger roller bearings, you may have to have the basket ground out a little to house the new bearings but it should cure your problem.

Thank you

I have looked in to that option , as always these days is finding some one to do the job and do it right

I managed to graft a Kawasaki 550 clutch into my BSA B33, I altered the original adapter and used the dragonfly bearings conversion, so far 1500 miles on it, no basket wobble, no problems

Good news and thank you all for replies

The rollers i purchased from a well know spares dealer turned out to be over seas rubbish and no better than the old ones they were to replace

I took a chance and purchased some old stock rollers off ebay and the problem is solved , no wobble what so ever and i also purchased a old stock plate basket off ebay from france so quite chuffed with the results .

If any one is looking for rollers i would recommend this seller to any one

Nieuwe pagina 1