Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wartime photo to identify with haltrack or scout car

A new buy, disappointing detail of the motorcycles under magnification as is often the case.

The bike seems to have the exhaust downpipe on the left, I'm wondering if the negative was reversed when the picture was printed?

Rob

qa1

qa2a

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Wartime photo to identify with haltrack or scout car

Hi Rob,
the photo is reversed, as the tam o shanter, would be worn the other way around.
Regards Gary

Yes the badge should be over left eye and the large pocket on his trousers should be on left leg. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks chaps, so is it a halftrack or scout car and what is the bike?

Rob

qa1r

qa2ar

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The brake drum is on the opposite side to the exhaust, so not M20, Triumph or Ariel. I can't see any side check springs so not Norton or later WD/CO. My guess is RE WD/C. The exhaust rose especially looks RE. ? Ron

I don't think that it can be a 'C' Ron - we can see the speedo which would be hidden low on the left.

Exhaust pipe looks too tall for SV. The line of the pipe looks more 3HW to me...I'm not sure, given the poor quality if in fact we might be looking at the brake plate side.

The photo has an Italian campaign feel to it which would increase the likeliehood of a 3HW.

I don't recognise those split rims on the armoured car at all...Someone ought to be able to though.

Ah the brake plate is on the right! In that case, I think you're correct Rik. If I squint I can see the Webb fork damper knob and is the bolt head below the knob holding the mudguard P clip to the rear fork tube. Triumph also fitted an exhaust rose to all their models. Ron
1942-350ohv

M3 Scout Car?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Scout_Car

email (option): moatjon( at) aol.com

Yes, it's a US M3 White Scout Car, not a Halftrack, difference is in the folding door armour, kinked top edge with WSC. Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi🤯🤯.net

Nieuwe pagina 1