The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jake Robbins is alive and well

Alan Grey
I left a complete set of 1936 Empire star forks with Jake for new bolts and bushes.He answered the phone after a year,he hadn't started on them.Couldn't get hold of him again.He didn't answer the messages I left on his answering machine.I wrote him 3 letters asking about my forks.I live in Sweden so only in England once a year.He was never at his workshop.He finally answers on facebook saying that he sold them at auction to pay for storage,and he knew his rights!Did he have the right to avoid me for 7 years and sell my forks?He seemd to think so.Does anyone know if M20 forks will fit a 1936 Empire Star?Someone please help..I'm desperate..Best regards..alangrey007@hotmail.com
In so far as going into the steering stem and actually working ,, yes they will fit
A very large number of pre WWII BSA's down here run on Wm20 front girders.
There was a conversion girder to teles available down here so some clever charlies stockpiled vast numbers of girders.

However do not even think of getting a set out of India from any of the on line vendors, not unless your insurance is paid up & you have a desire to leave a wealthy widow.
I only know of 5 people who have fitted them and all 5 have failed, including one that was on a display bike which was never actually ridden apart from the trailer to the stand & back again.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

[...However do not even think of getting a set out of India from any of the on line vendors, not unless your insurance is paid up & you have a desire to leave a wealthy widow.
I only know of 5 people who have fitted them and all 5 have failed, including one that was on a display bike which was never actually ridden apart from the trailer to the stand & back again....]

I'd agree with those sentiments...I've taken a very close look at a set of Indian manufactured M20 forks and I consider them only fit for display purposes (though Trevors comments indicate they may not even be up to that:laughing: )....

There will always be those who have used them and say they are OK but if the measure of how good a pattern part is comes down to whether it catastrophically fails or not then we are in serious trouble.. Determining that fact could be a threat to life and limb in many cases...

When normal 'western' engineering practice is used as the datum point I see no evidence that the Indian aftermarket forks have been constructed using even basic minimum manufacturing specifications, tolerances and quality standards...

Personally I'd be inclined to avoid any Indian manufactured stressed component and the fact they are now making engine components as well as wheel hubs, frame sections, forks etc. is a worrying development as there is effectively no redress in the event of problems, however serious...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Do you know where those forks did fail, Trevor? Think the bottom links are the most stressed parts and the original ones are very though, don't think the Indian ones can equal that....

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Three of them failed at the joint of the steering stem & the tube.
On the originals it is a forging
On the copies it was a not very good weld joint with a lot of filler to look like a forged/cast part.
Two other failed where the tubes join into the axel forks.
Again on originals it was a forging on the copies they were a piece of thick plate ground to size with a couple of finger to slip inside the tubes.
Not a close enough fit for bronze welding so they literally fell out

Bought a stand from a local dealer decades ago and fitted it fresh for the International at Halls Gap last year.
It lasted exactly 6 hours
Did the Friday short run, did the long ride and fell apart at Dunkelg on the third ride.

Took it off and the only part that were salvagible were the caps on the end of the legs

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

The guy is a disgrace. Do not use him for any refurbish unless you want to get ripped off as he did to me.
I am praying for the day when I come face to face with the crook and get my £600 back for the absolute crap job he did on my M20 girders.
The quote was to get them back to perfect standard condition and the shite that he submitted was utter fraud.

If you read this Jake, know that sooner or later I will stand face to face and we will sort things out.

To anyone who considers using this rip off merchant, go throw your money out the window, its better value for money than this.

Yes I am bitter, but rather listen to my rant than get stung.
The guy is a crook. Tells you bullsh#t to get your money then creates any kind of crap excuse to keep it.
Don't do it, go find a proper engineer to do it properly.
Darren

PS. Anyone who defends this cheating fraud is just as bad as he is. Perhaps hoping for a kick back on a cheap job, don't believe it.

email (option): d.wrudd at Sky.com

Thank you Trevor, I will keep far away from them anyway.

Luckily the inferior quality can be spotted from a distance. But for the newcomers, who have not seen a original set to compare, it is a real danger.

BR Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

I left my forks with him in 2011 and he says now that he sold them to pay for storage.Go and get them back asap,if he hasn't already sold them

email (option): alangrey007@hotmail.com

very active on facebook. almost daily.

https://www.facebook.com/jakevintage/

Hello Darren.Please write a review on his webb site so other people don't get ripped off,thanks..Alan

I can concur with Darren regarding his job...In the past Jake has done a few sets for me and made a good job of them but it seems things have changed...
I was shocked at the poor workmanship that had been carried out and the obvious deviations from the correct specifications on a set of forks that were supposed to be standard..Happily, at the time, I was able to supply Darren with all the correct parts that ultimately enabled him to rectify things...
Unfortunately the fact remains he was basically ripped off in my opinion...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Having met Jake a couple of times and been supplied some parts by him and also seen some incredible looking 'Castle' forks that he made from scratch for a Brough. I was very disappointed when my WM20 forks came back about 3 weeks after I sent them to him as the rod brake lug was bent completely out of shape. I was able to re-shape it to my reasonable satisfaction..........But the huge disappointment was that he'd made my fork bushes from 'sintered/oilite' bronze, and they turned to lace tissue paper in under 1000 miles.

My local engineer re-bushed them with the correct bronze and I've done thousands of miles since. He has the ability! I really can't understand what he's playing at??

Ron :confused:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

And I still can't thank you enough Ian.
There are some good guys around and even when all seems to conspire against you, up step lads like Ian Wright and Ron Pier to show you that everyone is not just on the take and that there really are some genuine good eggs about 👍
Darren

Shame about your forks Darren.Original girder forks are worth a lot of money.That's probably why he sold mine.Do you know if you got the originals back?He might be selling customers originals for a thousand pounds or more,and returning indian copies.Find out before your forks fail.

Alan Grey
Shame about your forks Darren.Original girder forks are worth a lot of money.That's probably why he sold mine.Do you know if you got the originals back?He might be selling customers originals for a thousand pounds or more,and returning indian copies.Find out before your forks fail.
Does anybody here have a set of forks that will fit my 1936 Empire Star?It's a 500cc,completely original.Joke Robbings doesn't have passion for motorbikes,only himself.Have you seen his video clips?He thinks he's Evel Knievel!Ridiculous!He's a bloody thief and a narcissist

Hi Alan,
I do believe they were the original forks although the extra set of fork links were never returned.
I'm have them on the wall in the den, as a lesson to never go back.
I was lucky enough to find another set which I have refurbished myself and rebushed.
With Ian's help with parts, they are pretty good.
Darren

Alan,

Send me a PM. I have the 1936 Empire Star forks blades. I have 3 1936 ES bikes so I collected some spares along the way.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot.nl

As I said, there are some good fellas around. Well done Leon 👏👏

Hi Alan.

As we both know we have already discussed this issue several times now.
I will clarify it for for you one last time: the reason they where sold was because we carried out the work and then you vanished for 7 years without paying your outstanding bill.
You made no effort to contact me and also never tried to visit as if you had you would have got your forks back.
I Work at the workshop Monday to Friday 9-5.
It was with great regret after seeking legal advice i had to sell your forks to cover the unpaid invoice you had left me with.
I run a small business reliant on turnover,you are the first customer who has ever done this.

email (option): jakevinteng@aol.com

Hi Darren.

I don't remember you making contact over any problems,although this was a long time ago.
With regards to the price, prices can vary and extra jobs are found throughout the recondition.
hence the original quote rising.

There are overtones of aggression, if there is a genuine problem please take it up via a court of law.
Your threatening language will not be tolerated.

email (option): jakevinteng@aol.com

Jake

Several years back you contacted me to pay a final 1250$ telling me the forks were completed.

I never heard from you again although I attempted to contact you.

Ron Pier had good had good things to say about you and I decided to put some faith into it.

Folks like you are valued craftsman and I thought working with you would help us both.

I paid the price for being wrong. But worse is that others who believed in your attempts to provide a service like Ian, were slighted as well.

Hope your business is doing well.

Henri

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Very convenient, You don't remember !!
I suggest you think hard.

I am a small businessman with 35 years in the bearings and engineering industry.
Never have I come across a worse experience of lies and deceit in a business deal.
A quotation is just that, a quotation. After seeing a set of forks which are not the most complicated of items, what 'extras' can turn up.

You come back out of the woodwork in fake disbelief to try and blag someone else into believing your promises.
You sir are a disgrace and still owe me £850refund for the terrible work that you performed after promising a refurb back to best standards which would 'go straight back on the bike'

It should be obvious by now that many people are more than upset with your quality of work, so draw a line under this and don't sully this wonderful forum any further.
If you need to contact me, you should still have my details.

Darren
As I said, there are some good fellas around. Well done Leon 👏👏

I hope joke dies asap to spare us his rip offs.He's worse than bad.What comes around goes around.He'll soon rip off the wrong person

Lots of victims here,and you defend your self.Ever heard of customer satisfaction.Seen your stupid you tube videos about yourself.You're a narcissist.That's why you rip people off and defend yourself.You sold my forks to pay for storage costs.They take up loads of room.Darren and Henri.Henri sent you loads of money and got nothing,he gave up.You last wanted 1200 dollars,a thousand pounds,which he sent,and he hasn't heard from you since.Do you think I would drive from Sweden to Hastings,about 60 hours in a car there and back,leave about a thousand pounds worth of forks and never conact you again?Are you on drugs?Jut bloody stop ripping people off!But you can't understand that.You are a narcissist

Yup. Owes me 4500.00 (USD). Never built the one set of Triumph Speed Twin forks I ordered, and then stole the one set I sent for refurbishment. To his credit, Danny DeFazio tried to intercede on my behalf. Nothing. Glad this is finally getting some real "press".

email (option): btcoop77069@aol.com

Thanks Leon,but I've already bought M20 forks to fit on the bike..kind regards,Alan

Alan,

You do realise that you need different yokes as well because the different width?

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

Nieuwe pagina 1