Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with bike ID? (off topic)

hi folks,

I have become obsessed with finding out what model this bike is. This is a photo of a grave marker on Maui and I just have to know the model? Any suggestions?

I've tried to enhance the image to have things as clear as I could get.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Re: Help with bike ID? (off topic)

G'day Cas,
The wide flat rib in the rear guard would suggest to me Triumph, maybe a '38 speed twin?

I would agree with Matty! The rear guard and number plate are definitely Triumph, and so is the Chrome and paint scheme on the tank, so must be 38/39/40. It looks to have a pipe on the left, so a twin! If it was Amaranth Red it would be a Speedtwin if Black/Blue/Silver, A Tiger 100.

It looks to have had the silencers and headlamp removed and the handlebar clamps swiveled upright in front of the damper knob and the handlebar is tipped backwards, probably in an attempt to emulate the Indian's and Harley's of the day.(The start of the US Bobbers?) Ron
41791-1

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Agree with the above, but picture must have been taken in the 50's.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net (think about this!)

WOW! you guys are good!

An odd bike to find on Maui. I doubt it was an official export, I don't think Triumph were exporting pre-war? Maybe brought back by a WW2 vet? The guy on the bike looks the part.

Cas I think he wanted to be Marlon Brando in "The Wild Ones" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlKWlx-Yxkg

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I can empathize with that. Whenever I ride my Thunderbird, I too feel like Marlin Brando. Gotta get me a trophy to strap to my nacelle. The speedo isn't that accurate anyway so I don't need to see it. I would think that movie sold more Thunderbirds than any other advertising Triumph ever paid for, and to think that Triumph actually complained to Columbia Pictures about how the movie tarnished their good name.

Nieuwe pagina 1