Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil spill

Hi, not long ago that I bought my 1941 M20 (march ‘19)and expected a small amount of oil appearing on the drip tray underneath however after a very short run it was put away on its main rear stand whilst we had a weeks holiday, upon our return I opened the garage door to be greeted with approx 4 pints of oil on the concrete floor! There is to my untrained eye any obvious point on the bike where this could have leaked from , has anyone any ideas please? Many thanks in advance.

email (option): neil.blount@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Oil spill

If your oil tank is empty. Then your engine has seriously "Wet Sumped". My theory is that the oil will leak through the drive side main bearings into the primary case and out through the clutch aperture or poorly sealed chain case? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi, thanks for the fast reply, I had done an oil change to Morris golden film sae 40 a few months earlier with no problems , is this oil suitable for the M20?

That's what I use in all my bikes. Is your oil tank empty? If your bike has wet sumped (leaked past the oil pump) The first and easiest thing to address is the ball and spring behind the hex plug at the bottom of your timing cover.

Take out the ball and spring and clean out the orifice with a small artist brush and or squirt out with WD40. Give the ball a sharp tap with a thin drift to improve the seat in the ally case......Better still buy a new 1/4" ball and spring from Draganfly or Russells.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi, yes it is, I’ll carry out your recommendation and get back to you, good to know I chose well with the oil! Thanks!

Nieuwe pagina 1