Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 Rear Wheel Removal - How to?

How do you remove the rear wheel assembly on the BSA M20? Looking at the wartime workshop manual, it is not quite clear how to remove it. The Wheel spindle nut (right side) came off freely. The wheel spindle head (left side) does not turn, nor does the cam locknut (left side). Everything has been sandblasted to bare metal and primed. Am I missing a step for removal or do i just need some penetrating oil in there.

email (option): questmasters(at)hotmail(dot)com

Re: BSA M20 Rear Wheel Removal - How to?

Gently tap the spindle - thread end with a hide hammer and the spindle will be released and you will see why the spindle will not turn. Best to remove the three hub to brake drum bolts first before removing the spindle.

Trust that helps.

I would advise you to contact Henk...
He has the worksheets/manuals for the M20 on disc etc....A worthwhile investment as there's no point fumbling about in the dark..Inadvertant damage caused by a lack of information will soon outweigh any money saved.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

In the interest of answering a question that someone else may ask if doing a search for this topic, the way to remove the rear wheel can be found on a document on this site: http://www.wdbsa.nl/download/Motorcyling%201961.pdf

Remove the the Wheel spindle nut (right side) and the three brake drum bolts (located on the back, right side, of the rear drum). Then the spindle can be tapped out and be removed from the left side of the motorcycle (the spindle is very long bolt/axle). The brake drum will stay attached to the motorcycle frame and can be removed later if necessary.

This was in fact not the way I had to do it, because my spindle is very much stuck inside of the half spindle (which is located inside of the rear wheel hub), having never been apart in 70 years and/or lots of oxidation. For me it took a bit of left and right work between the various bolts to give the left side just enough clearance to be removed with the brake drum still attached to the wheel, with the spindle remaining through all of the various parts.

email (option): questmasters(at)hotmail(dot)com

Nieuwe pagina 1