WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
battery replacement for a 1942 m20

which one do I need ?

email (option): edjere01@gmail.om

Re: battery replacement for a 1942 m20

I think the best way is to buy a rubber battery box that looks like the original batteries for that time and then purchase a modern 6 volt bike battery that just fits inside. The size of the original batteries were pretty well standard across the range, one size fits all. I don't think it matters what capacity the modern battery is as you are only running a couple of lights and a horn and output from generator is usually only 3 to 4 amps. Lucas make the lookalike battery boxes with LUCAS written on the side and should look authentic enough. That way the terminals are hidden and looks very tidy.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

I use reproduction 'dummy' WD batteries on mine and just fit a 5amp cyclon dry cell battery inside. No acid, no corrosion and they last for years.
DSCF0746

I buy the Cyclon's from Mick Ash at the jumbles for £20 (contact details on request)
DSCF1750
Here is my original Lucas WD battery that has been used for molding some of the repro boxes. Ron
M20-397

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
I use reproduction 'dummy' WD batteries on mine and just fit a 5amp cyclon dry cell battery inside. No acid, no corrosion and they last for years.

I buy the Cyclon's from Mick Ash at the jumbles for £20 (contact details on request)

Here is my original Lucas WD battery that has been used for molding some of the repro boxes. Ron

Hi Ron, any chance you could supply me with one of your dummy boxes ? The rubber one on my G3l is way too soft,very poor quality.

email (option): joncvsv8@yahoo.co.uk

Those are all off some of my bikes Jon. But sending info by email. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

First impressions are that you might be onto a nice little earner there Ron. Though of course I don't know how labour intensive making them is.

Hello all!

i'm the "french"supplier and maker of the dummy batteries boxes on the Ron picture( but i'm not the only one), for those who want some, contact me of forum please .
i could make batteries from 1939 to 1944.
Cheers
Arnaud

email (option): leger-arnaud@wanadoo.fr

My M21 came with a Goff fibreglass battery. It was dud. A replacement of the same type lasted three weeks. I replaced that with a lead acid inside the old box. That's worked ok. Yes I insulate them from the vibration and no Goff wasn't selling them anymore the last time I looked...

email (option): jeremy@clogmaker.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1