Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas cape

After our Liberation lots of army stuff was being dumped in dump stores, and sold to the public: backpacks, belts, webbing, trench tools etc... Very useful were the so-called gas capes, of impregnated cloth, sticky and with a brown-green camouflage pattern; they came in two models, for use with and without backpack. They were very practical, absolutely water-proof, and cheap.
But after some time, they disappeared from the dump stores, never to be seen again....
And on this site, I have never seen any mention of them, although they must have been available as rain wear. So my question : were did they go, and are replicas available?

Re: Gas cape

I don't know if it's what you describe but Soldier of Fortune do a replica cape....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The gascapes you mentioned are very rare these days and also very expensive, if you will be able to find one.
If you find one after more than 70 years they will be sticked together and dried, so not able to use anymore.

If you'll find a repro one it's a much better option for use.

regards, ramon:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Pre-war gas capes were a light coloured rubberised canvas but the outbreak of war mean that demand could not be met and an oil-cloth version made of linseed oil impregnated cotton was introduced. Gas cape colour threads are like oil threads - they go on and on but there is some indication that the early versions were also 'tan' before changing to green, sometimes with a disruptive pattern.

Early-war these were worn rolled. There was also a ground sheet / rain cape of rubberised canvas and this was carried folded under the flap of the small pack.

Frank Brown who makes the replica pannier bags makes probably the most authentic copy gas capes and he'll make in whichever colour you prefer.

The ground sheet / rain capes are available from 'What Price Glory'.

Nieuwe pagina 1