Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel tap/fuel pipe adaptors

I bought one of the fuel pipes from Stuart Bray , the carb end is 1/4"BSP which fits fine , the fuel tank ends 1/8"BSP .The problem I have is my fuel taps are 1/8"BSP into the tank and 1/4"BSP at the fuel pipe ends,is there a fuel union/adapter I can replace the existing ones with to bring it down to 1/8"BSP ?

Has anyone got a photo of the correct taps that should be fitted to my 41 M20 , maybe it has the wrong taps fitted , it has the separate filters screwed into the tank .

Thanks

Dave

Re: Fuel tap/fuel pipe adaptors

Dave,

Think you will find that the standard push pull taps were 1/8th BSP into the tank with the filter adaptor as you mentioned. Problem is the outlet end of the tap which would have been a 7/16 thread smaller then your 1/4 BSP outlet. If you have genuine Enots push pull taps then you should be able to find the bottom part of the taps at auto jumbles or eBay. Don't think the pattern bottom tap outlets are interchangeable with the enots parts.

Tim W

Thanks Tim .
As far as I am aware the taps are genuine , the fuel pipe I bought off Stuart is apparently a genuine NOS part , so could they be 7/16" on the tapend and not what I'm assuming 1/8"BSP, better re-assess and do some measuring .Hopefully I can find a couple of the adaptors for the fuel pipe , but I had better make sure on the thread size first .

I tried to download a couple of photos of the tap and pipes but photobucket tells me I've exceeded my limit for the month :astonished: . I haven't used it for at least 2 months :laughing:

The original taps where 1/8 BSP both ends. But over the years lots have been swapped for 1/4 BSP which are more readily available, by changing the tank adapters or drilling and tapping them out to 1/4 BSP. It might be simpler to just change the tap end fittings on your pipe to 1/4 BSP.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/unn-container-solder-type-nut-and-nipple

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron .Mine are 1/8 into the tank and 1/4" onto the pipe .I think as you suggest it will probably be easier to change the pipe ends over.
Just me being a bit over fussy :grin: It's nice to find NOS stuff I was hoping not to have to molest it :laughing:

I did find this fitting and wondered if I took the union out of the tap and replaced it with this, it would maybe do the job, or could possibly cause problems with the cork seal ? But I'll go with replacing the ends on the fuel pipe .

Sorry I don't know how to attach a working link to the adaptor but here's a copy and paste link

www.gsparkplug.com/1x-double-bodied-union-1-8-bsp-x-1-4-bsp-for-copper-petrol-fuel-pipe.html

Dave

Those fittings won't work. The end fittings on the Enots taps have concentric ridges which push into the cork. The only solution is to rob some lower fittings from old taps. Be careful how you dismantle these taps, although the bodies have a hexagon form, they won't take being hauled upon by a couple of open-enders if they've been done up for a long time.

Thanks for the info Rik .I'll go with what Ron suggested and change the ends of the pipe , be the easiest route .

Nieuwe pagina 1