Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Another charging issue

[Also the DVR2 doesn't have cooling fins like the AO unit so maybe my efforts at adding more room for cooling are unwarranted..]

Yes, the DVR2 requires neither a heat sink or an airflow to keep it cool...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ron, the Ariel site shows a unit quite similar to the one you've shown here & don't like much. The wires are neatly looped over the top & the writer mentions fatigue failure, presumably from vibration. But with the DVR2 they can be quite short.

One other thing, do people who've fitted the DVR2s in the MCR1 cases secure the 5mm nut on the unit's mounting spigot with anything once it's been tightened up? It looks like it might work loose. One way to find out, I suppose.

As far as I know Lucas still manufacture the RB108 unit which I have fitted on my '43 WM albeit with the alli crimped on cover removed and the old type brass cover with wire clip fitted. Typical DEAF wiring order. Or find an old one and get it fetled by someone who repairs dynamos, the two often go together.

email (option): roy.speake@yahoo.com

Lucas went to the wall years ago! I think Wassell's took over the 'Lucas' trade name, but a lot of their parts in green Lucas boxes are foreign made. The brass top will only be from a post war MCR2 regulator. The correct war-time MCR1 only had steel lids.

The typical wiring order should read FADE. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Lucas still exists as a company but has licensed much of its production to multiple suppliers via multiple licensees so it's hard to discover exactly where parts are actually manufactured without going into it in detail...
Motorcycle bulbs for example are licenced to a UK manufacturing company in Birmingham but as well as many companies in the UK there are facilities worldwide supplying multiple related products...

The licensee for classic motorcycle electrical parts appears to be Wassells but they aren't a manufacturer so a further search would be needed to find the origin of the different parts...For economic manufacture the usual suspects are probably involved in many products....India, Taiwan, China and probably others...

One comment I would make is that the Lucas badged rear lights are a much better product than the Indian replicas commonly seen (and also marketed by Wassell..) From my experience parts manufactured in Taiwan are usually pretty good and it wouldn't surprise me if production of at least some Lucas badged parts is carried out there....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The DVR2's got everything nice & bright again, but in doing the work I found some poor connections that had initially tested OK for continuity. I'm now not sure if my testing of the Indian replica of an MCR1 regulator was correct. So while it's off the bike, are there any tests I can do? Using a multimeter the internal circuitry checks out, as I understand it.

Nieuwe pagina 1