The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: German Gold Star

IMG-20190706-WA0002-1

This one of Captain 'Jimmy' Simpson looks more like a over painted civilian bike

"In terms of M20s, right up until the middle of May, quantities of up to 500 motorcycles were being sent to France every few days. Many ended up unused in Ordnance depots around Cherbourg, Le Mans and Laval. Inevitably, many were not put beyond use...Imagine the spare parts stock too..."

That is also new to me, thank you. I always assumed the bikes had been in service and were left behind near the coast during the evacuations. So the german army captured intact depots with large quantities of unused machines? No wonder they put them in action....

Thank you.
Always a pleasure to learn more

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Michiel W

This one of Captain 'Jimmy' Simpson looks more like a over painted civilian bike

Hi Michiel,
The Gold Star shown in the book,census number C46242 is from a batch of numbers for impressed motorcycles.

regards, Richard

The picture show a 1939 Model with the four screws at the inspektion cover. The Oil indicator mostly fited on the 1938 JM24
My M24 was despatched Mai to BSA Dealer Zorrel Warschau so the BSA records. The trace in II world war is unknow, but it is a marvel the bike survived and comes to light in 1949 near Frankfurt. Three owners till 1961 all living in Frankfurt.
Completly dismanteld but the parts was in good condition ready to fit. Another cylinder head and rockerbox, a second gearbox make the descition easy to build up a second bike wich is a racer.

cheers Klaus

email (option): ajay2@gmx.de

Nieuwe pagina 1