Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
triumph trw voltage

wow! the forum is still going well i haven't been on it for a year or so anyway getting off the subject this triumph trw is twin points/coils i assumed it would have been 12 volt but it has got a 6 volt battery on it it build date is Oct 1964 contract number 3231 i had a triumph T 100 SS which was registered in 1964 that was 12 volts also is it easy to change to 12 volt or just leave it at 6 volts thank again roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: triumph trw voltage

The TRWs are 6 volt...Changing them over to 12 volts isn't entirely straight forward...If an alternator with 3 output wires is fitted, then joining any two of the three wires together will turn the existing unit into a 12 volt alternator...All bulbs, the rectifier, the battery, the horn and the capacitor will have to be changed to 12v items...

As the system at 6 volt is regulated by switching the coils of the alternator in or out depending on system load ( there was no purpose made regulator for 6 volts..), the basic wiring circuit is not suited to 12 volt operation...

So it will need to be rewired, with the new system incorporating a 12 volt Zennor diode and heat sink to regulate the output..

The diagram for any 12 volt machine will do for the basic wiring layout but adapting that to function with the existing switches will require some experimentation....It does work though, I did the conversion on a friends TRW about 25 years ago!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: triumph trw voltage

My '55 Triumph 5T is build like Ian decribes, also with a zener diode (I suppose they didn't exist back than)on an aluminium plate.
Works very well at 12 volts for many years now (fingers crossed !!)

Nieuwe pagina 1