Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: German Gold Star

Here a photo of the same BSA.

Henk

BSA-M24-1

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I think the skull and crossbones marking is a Panzer Grenadier unit (as opposed to the Totenkopf SS Panzer Division)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Wow, very nice, thanks for sharing these pictures!

All those pictures of German soldiers on M20's, it was clear that the Germans had captured large amounts of M20's, they even made parts for it to keep them on the road.

Who would have thought they got hands on a Goldstar??

I am now collecting parts for a B33 engine to put it in an early WM, the bike really asks for it with the large cut out in the bottom of the balloon tank, will also be a nice bike to look and ride, but not the real thing of course.

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

A Surprisingly large number of KM24s were sent to 'BSA Copenhagen' during 1939...out of proportion to the small size of Denmark I think...A possible explanation is that trading difficulties with Nazi Germany meant that German customers bought via the back door.

Huge numbers of German civilian vehicles were impressed by the Wehrmacht, not to mention what they stole from every occupied country. This one doesn't have to have been ex-BEF.

In terms of M20s, right up until the middle of May, quantities of up to 500 motorcycles were being sent to France every few days. Many ended up unused in Ordnance depots around Cherbourg, Le Mans and Laval. Inevitably, many were not put beyond use...Imagine the spare parts stock too...

Hi Rik, interesting theory about the large numbers of BSA's to Denmark but I assume those KM24 to Denmark were all civilian bikes..., this one looks not civilian as it has the butterfly cap which means no panel in the tank like the civilian bikes had....

It could be an early WM20 with only a M24 engine fitted but according to O&M 8 KM24's were ordered by the War-Office...could be one of those????

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

"In terms of M20s, right up until the middle of May, quantities of up to 500 motorcycles were being sent to France every few days. Many ended up unused in Ordnance depots around Cherbourg, Le Mans and Laval. Inevitably, many were not put beyond use...Imagine the spare parts stock too..."

That is also new to me, thank you. I always assumed the bikes had been in service and were left behind near the coast during the evacuations. So the german army captured intact depots with large quantities of unused machines? No wonder they put them in action....

Michiel W
Hi Rik, interesting theory about the large numbers of BSA's to Denmark but I assume those KM24 to Denmark were all civilian bikes..., this one looks not civilian as it has the butterfly cap which means no panel in the tank like the civilian bikes had....

It could be an early WM20 with only a M24 engine fitted but according to O&M 8 KM24's were ordered by the War-Office...could be one of those????
Is there any reason to believe the tank on it in the photo was the same tank that was on it when it left the factory ?
Or for that matter the engine is what was originally fitted ?
Remember it was war, not a collectors concourse so if a part would fit & worked then on it went.
The Nazi were not stupid and they were after all still people, so if a motorcycling soldier saw a complete side valve sitting there next to an incomplete OHV what do you think would happen, what would you have done if you thought you could get away with it ? After all the "boss" is paying for the fuel and even in war motorcycling can be fun, provided all you have to avoid is pot holes & not bullets.
We had some members who were stationed in Rabul and the stories they told of what was done to keep every thing running.
Motorcycle engines in boats car parts on bikes, bike parts on cars.
The roads up there were made from crushed coral which used to deposit on the top of the pistons on anything without a good air filter , which was just about everything.

That picture I would think was propaganda designed to make the allies feel bad cause the enemy had gotten their hands on all of our "good Stuff"

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

"Is there any reason to believe the tank on it in the photo was the same tank that was on it when it let the factory ?"

Hi Trevor, yes, there is a reason as it also has the oil-tell-tale-button on the crankcase. The civilian KM24 from factory would have a paneltank with the button in the panel. And in addition a plain headlamp.

So if the tank had been changed from civilian to WD, beside the tank, the button would have also been added on the crankcase and the headlamp would be changed, possible but not very likely I would say.

It also has the butterfly cap on the oiltank where the civilian would have a aluminum screw cap.

and a standard frontmudguard where the civilian would have a valanced frontmudguard,

It has the holes in the rearmudguard for the early WD carrier, it looks to have the wrapping round the fronttube & engine plates like the early WDM20's

Only a M24 engine in a early M20 bike is possible but is seems to have a much lower, sporting handlebar than the large, high WM20 handlebar...they wouldn't bother about changing that....?

I bet on an KM- or WM24 originally delivered to the War Office

BR Michiel

IMG-20190706-WA0002-1

This one of Captain 'Jimmy' Simpson looks more like a over painted civilian bike

Thank you.
Always a pleasure to learn more

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Michiel W

This one of Captain 'Jimmy' Simpson looks more like a over painted civilian bike

Hi Michiel,
The Gold Star shown in the book,census number C46242 is from a batch of numbers for impressed motorcycles.

regards, Richard

The picture show a 1939 Model with the four screws at the inspektion cover. The Oil indicator mostly fited on the 1938 JM24
My M24 was despatched Mai to BSA Dealer Zorrel Warschau so the BSA records. The trace in II world war is unknow, but it is a marvel the bike survived and comes to light in 1949 near Frankfurt. Three owners till 1961 all living in Frankfurt.
Completly dismanteld but the parts was in good condition ready to fit. Another cylinder head and rockerbox, a second gearbox make the descition easy to build up a second bike wich is a racer.

cheers Klaus

email (option): ajay2@gmx.de

Nieuwe pagina 1